Baghlingampalli; Hyderabad 500 044; India
Sundarayya Vignana Kendram (SVK), our collaborators in Hyderabad, India, were formally constituted in 1985. The institution was established in memory of the late Sri Putchalapalli Sundarayya, a renowned national liberation fighter.
The main Research Library at the Sundarayya Vignana Kendram has a rich collection of rare books, journals, newspapers, reports, pamphlets, manuscripts, private papers, and other materials in different languages. The collection is particularly rich in Telugu and English language material throwing light on socio-cultural, economic and political histories, and popular movements of all types in central India from the 12th through 20th centuries.
The SVK Research Library has been enriched by gifts from several prominent personalities of India. The base collection consists of more than 10,000 books from the late Putchalapalli Sundarayya's personal library. Notable additions include the books donated by Dr. Arudra, a popular and progressive creative writer and intellectual of modern Andhra Pradesh; Dasarathi, a Telugu poet and novelist; Bezawada Gopala Reddy, a well known political leader. The Research Library is a major depository for Telugu written heritage, including the very valuable private papers of P. Sundarayya, extending to more than 100,000 pages. Today the Research Library holds approximately 75,000 rare printed material. To meet the growing demands from the research scholars, the Sundarayya Vignana Kendram regularly purchases current publications and reports.Aims and Objectives of the Trust
(extracted from the "Trust Deed and Bye Laws" dated 29 July 1985)
The trust known as Sundarayya Vignana Kendram was established "in memory of the late Sri Putchalapalli Sundarayya, a renowned national liberation fighter; one of the founders of the Communist movement in India and indefatigable fighter for the rights of toiling masses of India ...
The aims and objects of the trust shall be:
- To afford the members of the public facilities for studies, researches in
- developing socio-economic and cultural activities of the people,
- scientific theories of Socialism of various schools and thoughts,
- movements of all kinds, organisation and parties by establishing and conducting institutions like schools, libraries and research centres;
- To create facilities for advancement and propagation of education and learning including establishment, maintenance and support of colleges, schools, hostels, or other educational institutions, professorships, lecturerships, scholarships and prizes and grants of free boarding and lodging to poor and deserving students;
- For giving medical aid and relief to the poor including the establishment, maintenance and support of institutions or funds for medical aid and relief;
- To render help and assistance to women and children and to other institutions and associations of persons which are engaged in activities of similar nature and which in the opinion of the Trustees deserve such help;
- For the advancement of any other objects of general public utility and not involving the carrying on of any activity for profit."
|Sri Putchalapalli Sundarayya
A renowned national liberation fighter
|Lavu Bala Gangadhara Rao
The Managing Trustee
| The Sundarayya Vignana Kendram building
A spacious modern structure housing the SVK Library, meeting halls, a theater, offices, and rooms for guests.