A N OTE ON [ TI ANSI IT ERATION
Vowels: a a e e 2 T 0 5 LZ i? ai au
b ^ r J f ^9
P ^.-> r ^ q
t i-> z J k \^/
c ,\ ^
t '"> Z ^ 9 ^>
s L^> S <^ 1 J
3 ^ -s L^ m r
c ^ ^ ^ n u
h ^ z^ (^ N u
x ^ t. J? w ^
d -> Z J> h 6
d 1> ^ r 0 H $0
z j 5 ^ y Z-
1. hamza is not indicated.
2. Word-final h is indicated only when it is pronounced. E.^., in nigah, but not in qa^lda.
3. "Izafat" compounds are indicated by -e-.
4. The Arabic definite article is written: (-)al-.
5. The w of conjunction is written: -o-.
6. Example: Ghalib's couplet on the cover,
hal kah'aN tamann'a ka d^isra qadam ya-rabb ham n'e daSt-e-lmkaN k'o ek naqls-e-p'a p'aya
7. English rules of capitalization will be followed for names, titles, etc.
Annual of Urdu Studies is published once a year. Annual subscription: $12.00. Make checks payable to C. M. Nairn. Subscriptions, contributions and other correspondence should be addressed to C. M. Nairn
1130 E. 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637