PRODUCING AND RE-PRODUCING THE NEW WOMEN 39
India: 'I have suspected the Indian Renaissance because it is the fourth or fifth of the species that I have come across; and I have wondered, if, after all, I have only brought with me a renaissance-habit that would find signs of birth in a graveyard.23 In the post-6th December 1992 India, in a graveyard of sorts, let us not then then be animated by the 'spirit* of the 'renaissance*. The crisis will only deepen, to the further detriment of women as well as as men, if we still remain mesmerised by the magic spell of the prefix 're*.
NOTES AND REFERENCES
1. Bankim Ch. Chattopadhyay, 'Bengali Literature*, Bankim RachanavaU vol. Ill, (Calcutta, 1990),p. 124
2. Susobhan Sarkar, 'Notes on the Bengal Renaissance', On the Bengal Renaissance, (Calcutta, 1985), p. 13.
3. Jadunath Sarkar, History of Bengal, Vol.11, (Calcutta, 1948), p.498.
4. Karl Marx, 'Letter to the editorial board of Otchest vennye Zapiski', Late Marx and the Russian Rood: Marx and the 'Peripheries of Capitalism', ed. Teoder Shanin, (London, 1984), p. 136.
5. Michael Madhusudan Dutta, 'An Essay on the Importance of Educating Hindu Females', Madhusudan Rachanabali, (Calcutta, 1983), p. 551.
6. John Hliot Drinkwater Bethune, 'Speech at the opening of the Calcutta Female School*. Bethune College and School Centenary Volume, (Calcutta, no date) p.107.
9. Ibid., p. 108.
10. Henry Vivian Derozio, "The golden Vase', The Fakeer of Jungheera, a Metrical Tale and Other Poems, (Calcutta, 1828), p. 131.
11. Cited in Jogesh Ch. Bagal's 'Radhakanta Dev', Sahitya Sadhak Charitmala, (Calcutta, 1985), pp. 30-32.
12. Cited in Brojendranath Bandyopadhyaya's 'Gourmohan Vidyalankar', Sahitya Sadhak Charitmala, (Calcutta, 1984), p. 96.
13. R.W. Connell, Gender and Power: Society, the Person and Sexual Politics, (London, 1987), p. 44.
14. Koylaschunder Bose, 'On the Education of Hindoo Females', ed. Alok Ray, reprinted in Nineteenth Century Studies, no. 10,1975, (Calcutta), p. 214.
16. Bankim Ch. Chattopadhyay, 'Prachina Ebong Nabina', Bibidha Prabandha Vol. 1, Bankim Rachanabali, Vol. II, (Calcutta), 1983, p. 234.
17. Bhudeb Mukhopadhyay, Samajik Prabandhe, (Calcutta), 1981, p. 3.
18. Cited in Sandhya Mukherjee's 'Mataji Gangabai—the noble architect', Adi Mahakali Pathasala Satabarsha Purti Samarak Patrika, (Calcutta, 1993), no page no.
19. Rassundari, Amar Jibon, reprinted in College Street, Fifth Year, September-October 1986, (Calcutta), p. 54.
20. Ibid, p. 45.
21. Ibid, p. 61.
22. Sri Aurobindo, The Renaissance in India, (Pondicherry, 1988), p. 42.
23. James H. Cousins, The Renaissance in India, (Madras, 1918), p. 4.