Abazai.-Fort and village in the Charsadda tahsil of Peshawar Dis-
trict, North-WAest Frontier Province, 24 miles north of Peshawar city,
on the left bank of the Swat river, and a mile from its exit from the
hills. The river, here 150 yards wide, is crossed by a ferry, and is the
highest point in British territory where a ferry is stationed. The fort,
which lies between Abazai village and the hills, was constructed in
1852, and has been very effective in preventing raids by the Utman
Khel and Mohmands on British territory. It was made over to the
border military police in 1894, and is held by 30 men of this force.
Its chief interest now consists in the fact that it is close to the head-
works of the SwiT RIVER CANAL.
Abbottabad Tahsil.-Tahs/i of Hazara District, North-West
Frontier Province, lying between 33° 49' and 34° 22' N. and 72° 55' and
73° 3i' E., with an area of 715 square miles. It is bounded on the
east by the Jhelum, which divides it from Pinch and the Punjab Dis-
trict of Rawalpindi; and it comprises part of the mountain valleys
drained by the Dor and Harroh rivers, together with the hill country
eastward. The hill-sides to the north and north-east are covered with
timber forest. The population in 1901 was 194,632, compared with
175,735 in I89I. It contains the towns of ABBOTTABAD (population,
7,764), the tahsiZ and District head-quarters, and NAWASHAHR (4, I4);
and 359 villages. The land revenue and cesses amounted in I903-4
to Rs. 97,000.
Abbottabad Town.-Head-quarters of Hazara District, and also
of the Abbottabad tahsil, North-West Frontier Province, situated in
34° 9' N. and 73° 13' E. Population (1901), 7,764. The head-
quarters of the District were fixed here in 1853, and the new canton-
ment was named after Major James Abbott, first Deputy-Commissioner
of Hazara, 1847-53. The town is picturesquely situated at the southern
corner of the Rash (Orash) plain, 4,I20 feet above the sea. The garri-
son consists of four battalions of native infantry (Gurkhas) and four
native mountain batteries. The municipality was created in 1867.
VOL. V. .,k B