Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 126.


Graphics file for this page
126


AHMADNAGAR TOWN


Mr. Erskine, the British Agent, who was in the neighbourhood with
a force, moved to Ahmadnagar to prevent the Ranis from becoming
sati. The sons of the deceased Maharaja begged Mr. Erskine not
to interfere with their customs. Finding him resolved to prevent the
sacrifice, they secretly summoned the Bhils and other turbulent tribes,
and in the night, opening a way through the fort wall to the river bed,
burnt the Ranis with their father's body. The sons then fled, but
subsequently gave themselves up to Mr. Erskine; and, after entering
into an engagement with the British Government, Takht Singh was
allowed to succeed his father as Maharaja of Ahmadnagar. Some
years later he was chosen to fill the vacant throne of Jodhpur. He
tried to keep Ahmadnagar and its dependencies, but, after a long
discussion, it was ruled in 1848 that Ahmadnagar should revert to
Idar. The chief remains are the Bhadr Palace, built of white stone,
and a reservoir, both in ruins. The palace is said to have been
originally constructed in the reign of Ahmad Nizam Shah, the founder
of the town. A new palace has been erected on the Bhadr site by
the present Maharaja of Idar. The town contains a hospital treating
annually about 7,000 patients, and is administered as a munici-
pality with an income (1903-4) of Rs. 1,755 and an expenditure of
Rs. 1,40I.
Ahmadpur Tahsil (or Ahmadpur East).-Tahsil in the Bahawalpur
State and nizdmat, Punjab, lying south and west of the Sutlej and the
Panjnad, between 27 46' and 29 26' N. and 70 54' and 7 32' E., with
an area of 2,107 square miles. The population in I90o was 11I,225,
compared with 93,5I5 in 1891. It contains the towns of AHMADPUR
EAST (population, 9,928), the head-quarters, and UCH (7,583); and
I02 villages. It is traversed by the depression known as the Hakra,
which is supposed by some to be an old bed of the Sutlej. South of
this stretches the desert of the Cholistan, with sand-dunes rising in
places to a height of 500 feet. To the north lie the central uplands,
and beyond them the alluvial lowlands along the Sutlej and Panjnad.
The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1905-6 to 2-2 lakhs.
Ahmadpur Town, East.-Head-quarters of the Ahmadpur tahsiZ,
Bahawalpur State, Punjab, situated in 29 8t N. and 7I 6' E., 20 miles
south-west of Bahawalpur town on the North-Western Railway. Popu-
lation (1901), 9,928. Founded in 1748 by a Daudputra chieftain,
it was given in dower to Nawab Bahawal Khan II of Bahawalpur in
1782. The town possesses an Anglo-vernacular middle school, a
theological school, and a dispensary. Its trade, chiefly in carbonate
of soda, is considerable, and it manufactures shoes and earthenware
on a large scale for export. The town is administered as a munici-
pality, with an income in r903-4 of Rs. 12,100, chiefly derived from
octroi.



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html