possess endowments almost throughout the Presidency and even
beyond it, are now in a neglected condition.
Ahraura.-Town in the Chunar tahsil of Mirzapur District, United
Provinces, situated in 25° I' N. and 83° 3' E., 12 miles south-east of
Chunar. Population (I901), 11,328. Ahraura was formerly an impor-
tant trade centre, being the most southerly limit of cart traffic on the
road from the railway to the south of the District and to Surguja State.
Besides the through trade, which has fallen off owing to the establish-
ment of other markets, there are local industries in sugar-making and
the manufacture of lacquered toys. Tasar or wild silk was formerly
woven here; but this industry is almost extinct, though silk thread is
still made. The town contains a dispensary and two schools. It is
administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 4,000.
A short distance away, in the village of Belkhara, is an inscription of Lak-
hana Deva, the last king of Kanauj, which, though dated in II96, com-
pletely ignores the conquest by the Muhammadans a few years earlier 1.
Ai.-A river of Assam, which rises in Bhutan and has a tortuous
easterly course through Goalpara District, till it falls into the MANAS.
Its principal tributaries are the Buri Ai and Kanamukra, both of
which join it on the left bank. For the greater part of its course the Ai
flows through jungle land; but it is used for the export of rice, mustard,
thatching-grass, and timber, and is one of the routes by which articles of
merchandise are conveyed into the interior. Boats of 4 tons burthen
can proceed as far as Kollagaon in the rainy and Chamugaon in the dry
season. The river, which is 95 miles in length, is nowhere bridged,
but is crossed by ferries in four places.
Aihole.-Village in Bijapur District, Bombay. See AIVALLI.
Aijal Subdivision.-Subdivision of the Lushai Hills District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 23z ' and 24° I9' N. and 920 I6t
and 93° 26' E., with an area of 4,701 square miles. The population in
I90o, the first year in which a Census was taken, was 52,936, living
in 125 villages. The head-quarters of the District are situated at AIJAL.
Aijal Village.-Head-quarters of the Lushai Hills District, Eastern
Bengal and Assam, situated in 23° 44' N. and 920 44' E., on
the top of a narrow ridge about 3,500 feet above the sea. It is con-
nected by a bridle-path with Silchar, I20 miles distant; but stores are
usually brought up the Dhaleswari river to Sairang, only 13 miles from
Aijal. The station was established in 1890, and in I901 had a popu-
lation of 2,325. The rainfall (80 inches) is not excessive for Assam,
and the climate is cool and pleasant. Aijal is the head-quarters of the
Superintendent and his staff, and of a military police battalion under
a European commandant. There is a jail with accommodation for
thirteen prisoners, and a hospital with thirty-four beds. For some time
Cunningham, Archaeological Survey Reports, vol. xi, p. 128.