Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 173.


Graphics file for this page
ADlilIAISTRA4 TION


i73


i89i-2, the money being lent to the municipality by Government. The
water is conveyed into the city and suburbs through pipes which are
laid underground. The capacity of the tank is 150,000,000 cubic feet;
and when it is full it holds, approximately, a two years' supply of water
for the city, the civil station, and the railway workshops. When the
water-level in the reservoir is below a certain depth, the water has to
be pumped.
The Mayo College and the Government Arts college are the principal
educational institutions. The former was established at the suggestion
of Lord Mayo as a college where the sons of chiefs and nobles might
receive an education to fit them for their high positions and important
duties. The endowment fund, subscribed by seventeen of the Rajputana
States, amounts to about 7 lakhs of rupees, and the interest on this sum,
added to a Government subsidy, forms the income of the college. Some
of the Native States have built boarding-houses, while the Government
of India presented the college park, comprising I67 acres and formerly
the site of the old Residency, and erected the main building, the
residences of the principal and vice-principal, and the Ajmer boarding-
house. It also provides the salaries of the English staff. The foun-
dation-stone of the college was laid in I878, and the building was
opened by the Marquis of Dufferin in 1885. The main building is of
white marble in the Hindu-Saracenic style. The Jaipur boarding-house
stands apart, to the south of the main building, while the other nine
boarding-houses are arranged in the form of a horseshoe, with the
college in the centre of the base. A fine marble statue of Lord Mayo,
by Noble, erected from funds subscribed by British and native residents
in Rajputana, stands in front of the main building. The college is
administered by a council, of which the Viceroy is president, and the
Agent to the Governor-General for Rajputana vice-president. The
chiefs of Rajputana and the Political officers accredited to them are
members of the council, and the principal is secretary. The English
staff was strengthened in I903, and now consists of a principal, a vice-
principal, and two assistant masters. The native staff has also been
strengthened and improved. The college curriculum is not fettered by
any prescribed code, but a course of studies is followed which experience
has shown to be useful and practical. The total number of admissions
from the opening of the college up to April i, 1904, has been 359, of
whom 88 are now on the rolls. The total includes several chiefs both
in and out of Rajputana, whence the greater number of boys come.
Ajmer possesses a Central jail, a large General Hospital, and two
smaller hospitals. The United Free Church of Scotland, the Church of
England, the Roman Catholics, and the American Episcopal Methodists
have mission establishments here. It is likewise the head-quarters of a
native regiment and of a Railway Volunteer corps. There are twelve



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html