Aliganj Tahsil.-Eastern tahsil of Etah District, United Provinces,
comprising the parganas of Azamnagar, Barna, Patiali, and Nidhpur,
and lying between 27° I9' and 27° 54' N. and 780 52' and 79° I7' E.,
with an area of 526 square miles. Population increased from I61,994
in i891 to 205,560 in i901. There are 379 villages and six towns, the
largest of which is ALIGANJ (population, 5,835), the ahsil head-quarters.
The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 2,1I,ooo, and for
cesses Rs. 38,000. The new settlement has raised the demand for
revenue to Rs. 2,29,000. The density of population, 391 persons per
square mile, is the lowest in the District. The Ganges forms the
northern boundary and the Kali Nadi the southern, and the tahsil thus
lies entirely in the most precarious tract in the District. Bordering on
the Ganges is a low area of alluvial land, stretching up to the old high
bank of the river, below which the Burhigangg, which has been deepened
and straightened, indicates the old bed. The banks of the Ganges and
Kall Nadi are both marked by sandy ridges, and where the rivers
approach each other the light soil almost meets. In the east is found a
considerable area of rich loam. Heavy rain causes the whole tahsil to
deteriorate, and reductions of revenue were made between I891 and
1893. In I898-9 the area under cultivation was 287 square miles, of
which 85 were irrigated. The Ganges tarai does not require irrigation
as a rule; but the upland portion is served by the Fatehgarh branch
of the Lower Ganges Canal. Wells supply about two-thirds of the
Aliganj Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name, in
Etah District, United Provinces, situated in 27° 29' N. and 79° zix E.,
34 miles east of Etah town on the road to Farrukhabad. Population
(1901), 5,835. It was founded by Yakat Khan, a eunuch in the employ
of the Nawab of Farrukhabad, who was killed in 1748 in battle with the
Rohillas, and is buried here. The shops are chiefly of mud, but there
are a few large brick-built houses, the residences of the wealthier traders.
Aliganj contains a tahsili and a dispensary. It was for some years
a municipality, but is now administered under Act XX of 1856
with an income of about Rs. 1,50o. There is a small trade in the
collection of grain and cotton, which are exported from Thana-
Daryaoganj station on the Cawnpore-Achhnera Railway, 9 miles away.
The town school has 140 pupils.
Aliganj Sewan. -Town in Saran District, Bengal. See SIWAN.
Aligarh District.-A pargana of the State of Tonk, Rajputana,
lying between 25° 36' and 26C 2' N. and 760 3' and 760 20' E., with an
area of about 157 square miles. It is bounded on the north, west, and
east by Jaipur; on the south west and south by Bundi; and on the
south-east by Kotah. The country is for the most part flat and open,
but a range of well-wooded hills passes through the south-eastern corner.