Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 226.


Graphics file for this page
226


ALIWAL


village the Sikh left was turned; but round Bhundri their right,
composed of enthusiastic Khalsa troops (trained by Europeans), made
a most determined stand, and the whole battle is still called by
natives the fight of Bhundri. The most gallant part of the action was
the charge of the I6th Lancers on the unbroken Sikh infantry, who
received them in squares. Three times the Sikhs were ridden over, but
they reformed at once on each occasion; and it was not till the whole
strength of the British was brought to bear on them that they were at
length compelled to turn their backs. The Sikh troops were either
driven across the river, in which many of them were drowned, or
dispersed themselves over the uplands. The British loss was consider-
able, amounting to 400 men killed and wounded. A tall monument,
erected in the centre of the plain to the memory of those who fell, marks
the scene of the action.
Allahabad Division.-A Division on the south-western border of
the United Provinces, extending from the northern terraces of the
Vindhyas to the Ganges, and.lying between 24 II' and 26 58' N. and
78 io' and 820 2i' E. On the north it is bounded by the Etawah and
Farrukhabad Districts of the Agra Division; on the north-east the
Ganges divides the greater part of the Division from Oudh, a portion of
Allahabad District extending north of the river; Mirzapur District lies
on the east; and the southern and western boundaries are formed by
Native States of the Central India Agency. The head-quarters of the
Commissioner are at ALLAHABAD CITY. The number of inhabitants at
the last four enumerations was as follows: (1872) 5,377,928, (i88i)
5,588,287, (I891) 5,757,121, and (1901) 5,540,702. The portion of the
Division lying south-west of the Jumna, called BUNDELKHAND (BRITISH),
suffered more severely than any other part of the Provinces in the
famine of I896-7. The total area is 17,270 square miles, and the
density of population is 32r persons per square mile, compared with
445 for the Provinces as a whole. The Division has the largest area,
but is only fifth in regard to population. In 19go Hindus formed
go per cent. of the total and Musalmans 9 per cent. Members
of other religions included Christians (14,989, of whom 5,005 were
natives) and Jains (13,240). The Division contained seven Districts,
as shown in the table on next page.
Cawnpore, Fatehpur, and part of Allahabad lie in the Jumna-
Ganges Doab, and a portion of Allahabad extends north of the Ganges.
The southern portions of Allahabad, Banda, Hamirpur, and Jhansi
lie on the outer terraces of the Vindhyas, or are studded with outlying
hills of the same system, while the remaining portions of these
Districts and also Jalaun stretch northwards in a level plain.
The Division contains 1o,950 villages and 51 towns, but most of the
latter are very small. The largest towns are CAWNPORE (population,



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html