Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 269.


Graphics file for this page
AJALAPURA.1 TAL UK


269


and consists of three storeys of the same breadth with fluted octagonal
minars at the four angles. The dome springs from an octagonal neck
standing on a fourth square storey of smaller size, and is crowned by a
small square cupola resting on a foliated base.
Alwar has had a municipal committee since I871-2. The annual
receipts, derived mainly from octroi and slaughter-house fees, are about
Rs. 60,ooo, and the expenditure, chiefly on sanitation, lighting, and
police, about Rs. 53,000oo. The most prominent educational institution
is the high school. It was opened in I87r, and has since passed
77 boys for the entrance examination at the Calcutta and Allahabad
Universities. The number on the rolls in 1905 was 427, and the daily
average attendance 396. English is taught in two other schools:
namely, the nobles' school and the mission school. The daily average
attendance at the former in 1904-5 was io8. Besides these, there are
several primary or indigenous schools for boys, and four for girls. In
addition to the Lady Dufferin Hospital, two Imperial Service regimental
hospitals and jail and general hospitals are maintained. The last is just
outside the city and has accommodation for 60 in-patients. About
6 miles to the south-west of the city is the Siliserh Lake, formed by a
dam thrown across an affluent of the Riparel river by Maharao Raja
Banni Singh in I844. This dam is now 46 feet high and I,ooo feet
long, and the lake, when full, is about ri miles long and 3 mile wide at
the broadest place. The water is brought to Alwar by two canals, and
is used mainly for irrigating the State and private gardens.
Alwaye.-A station on the Cochin-Shoranur Railway and the head-
quarters of the Alengad taluk, Travancore State, Madras, situated in
o0 7' N. and 76 22' E., on the river Alwaye (Periyar), on whose banks
the famous religious reformer Sankaracharya was born. Population
(I901), 3,645. The early Portuguese used Alwaye as their favourite
bathing-place and called it Fiera d'Alva, and it is still a sanitarium much
resorted to during the hot months by the better classes. A Siva temple
in the bed of the river attracts a large concourse of people on the Siva-
ratri day in February. The chief market of the taluk is held twice a
week, and a large trade exists in grain, fish, and cattle. Besides the
magistrate's court and a sub-registrar's office, the town contains a police
station, a post office, a district hospital, and a customs house.
Amala.-Petty State in the DANGS, Bombay.
Amalapuram Taluk.-TlZuk in Godavari District, Madras, lying
between 16 25' and I6 56' N. and 81 43' and 82 2i' E., with an
area of 506 square miles. Excepting NAGARAM ISLAND, it comprises
the whole area known as the Central Delta, lying between the two main
branches of the Godavari, the Vasishta and Gautami. The population
in 901o was 277,445, compared with 256,081 in I891. It contains
one town, AMALAPURAM (population, 9,51o), the head-quarters; and



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html