existence of good roads leading to stations on the Bhavnagar-Gondal-
Junagad-Porbandar Railway. The frant also contains the ports of
Kodinar, Dwarka, and Beyt.
The land revenue rose from 8-i lakhs in I88I to 9.7 lakhs in 1891
and io05 lakhs in I901. The demand had been reduced to 6-5 lakhs
in 1904-5, but owing to famine only Rs. 57,000 was
Administration. collected. The increase in earlier years was due to
a recent survey and settlement, by which all assessments are placed
on a cash basis. The average rates of assessment vary from 7 annas
a bigha (4 acre) in Okhamandal to Rs. 3-9-0 in Amreli.
The number of municipalities is six: namely, AMRELI, Damnagar,
DHARI, KODINAR, DWARKA, andYT; and the grants assigned to
them by the State in 1904-5 aggregated Rs. 5,800, in addition to the
income derived from customs, excise, and tolls in Amreli. A District
board and local boards were constituted in 1905.
The prant contains one high school (at Amreli), one Anglo-vernacular
school (at Dwarka), and I48 vernacular schools, the total number of
pupils in 1904-5 being 10,740. Education is compulsory in the Amreli
taluka. There are two civil hospitals and four dispensaries, at which
38,093 patients were treated in I904-5, of whom I75 were in-patients.
Amreli Taluka.--Tdauka of the Amreli prant, Baroda State, lying
between 21° 2o' and 2I° 37' N. and 7I° 2' and 71° 2i' E., with an area
of 228 square miles. Population increased from 51,598 in I89I to
55,183 in I90o. The tiluka contains one town, AMRELI (population,
I7,977), the head-quarters; and 58 villages. It forms a flat fertile plain,
traversed by clear streams and relieved by stretches of grass and stony
undulations. The fields are usually devoid of hedges, and there is
nothing to interrupt the view save a few small clumps of trees at
intervals. The soil is mostly black, and very fertile, the best land being
on the north bank of the Shatranji river, which runs through the dtluka.
Among the chief crops produced are jowivr, bajra, wheat, tal, banti,
cotton, and sugar-cane. In I904-5 the land revenue was Rs. 70,000.
Amreli Town.-Head-quarters of the Amreli prant, Baroda State,
situated in 21° 36' N. and 71° 15' E., I39 miles south-west of Baroda,
132 miles south-west of Ahmadabad, and about io miles from Chital,
a station on the Bhavnagar-Porbandar Railway. Population (1901),
I7,977. The town is situated on a small river called the Thebi, and is
fortified by a wall at present in a ruinous condition. It is an ancient
place, the former name of which was Amarvalli. The Juna Kot, or
'old fort,' is now used as a jail. Being the head-quarters of the prdnt,
the town possesses a civil court presided over by a judge, as well as
a magistrate's court, and Sibah's and other public offices. There are
also a hospital, a high school, and various vernacular schools, a library,
and a printing press. A municipal board was formed in 1905, with an