the head-quarters of one of the three Collectorates which in 1802
were formed into the present Vizagapatam District.
Anakapalle Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name
in Vizagapatam District, Madras, situated in 17° 42' N. and 83° 2' E.,
on the Sarada river, about 20 miles west of Vizagapatam town, in
the midst of a fertile plain. It is a rising agricultural centre, with a
large export trade in jaggery (coarse sugar) and grain. Population
(1901), I8,539. The affairs of the town are managed by a municipal
council established in 1878. The revenue and expenditure during
the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. i6,00o. In 1903-4 they
were Rs. 25,000 and 2I,000 respectively. Most of the revenue is
derived from taxes on houses and lands and from tolls. The usual
officers are stationed at Anakapalle, and it is also a favourite place of
residence among Hindus. It is a station on the East Coast Railway,
484 miles distant from Madras.
Anamalais.-Mountain range in Madras. See ANAIMALAIS.
Anambar.-River in Baluchistan. See NARI.
Anand Taluka.-Central tdalka of Kaira District, Bombay,
lying between 22° 26' and 22° 44' N. and 72° 52' and 730 13' E., with
an area of 244 square miles. It contains three towns, UMRETH (popu-
lation, 15,549), OD (6,072), and ANAND (Io,OIO), the head-quarters;
and 85 villages, including KARAMSAD (5,105) and SARSA (5,113). The
population in 1901 was 143,305, compared with 169,766 in I891. The
density is 587 persons per square mile. The land revenue and cesses
amounted in 1903-4 to more than 4.8 lakhs. Except towards the
east, where the land is bare of trees, uneven, and seamed with deep
ravines, the whole is a flat rich plain of light soil, well tilled and richly
wooded. The water-supply is scanty.
Anand Town.-Chief town of the taluka of the same name in
Kaira District, Bombay, situated in 22° 33' N. and 720 58' E. Popula-
tion (I9o0), Io,o0o. It is a junction on the Bombay, Baroda, and
Central India Railway, 40 miles south of Ahmadabad, where the
Godhra-Ratlam and the Petlad Railways join the main line. The
municipality was established in I889. The receipts during the decade
ending I901 averaged Rs. 6,600. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 6,900.
There are branches of the Irish Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, and
Salvation Army missions in Anand; and the town has 2 ginning
factories, 3 dispensaries, and 5 schools (4 for boys and one for girls),
attended by 612 male and 209 female pupils. These include 2 English
middle schools with 66 boys. The Salvation Army maintains a well-
equipped hospital, which is open to all classes.
Anandpur.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Anandpur.-Village in Keonjhar, one of the Tributary States of
Orissa, Bengal, situated in 21° 13' N. and 86° 7' E., on the left bank of