Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 349.


Graphics file for this page
AAl4'NTtPUR TO WN


349


During 1903-4 the number of persons successfully vaccinated was
30 per i,ooo of the population, the same as the mean for the Presi-
dency. Vaccination is compulsory in the municipality of Anantapur
and in all the Unions.
[W. Francis, District Gazetteer, 1905.]
Anantapur Subdivision. - Subdivision of Anantapur District,
Madras, consisting of the ANANTAPUR and KALYANDRUG taluks.
Anantapur Taluk.-Central taluk in the District of the same
name, Madras, lying between 14 24' and 14 55' N. and 77 17' and
77 59' E., with an area of 867 square miles. The population in 190o
was o08,731, compared with 103,850 in 189I. Besides the municipality
of ANANTAPUR (population, 7,938), the head-quarters of the District
and also of the tahuk, there are 107 villages. The demand for land
revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. ,90,00ooo. The taluk is
undulating, and the soil for the most part red and gravelly and of the
poorest nature. Consequently trees and vegetation are scarce, and the
country is barren and desolate looking. In the north, however, some
small tracts of black soil are found. The Penner and Chitravati form
part of the northern and eastern boundaries of the taluk; but their
waters are not used for irrigation, and cultivation depends upon the
very scanty rainfall. A project for damming the former river has been
proposed. The large tank at Anantapur town, which is fed by the
Pandameru river, is said to have been constructed in 1364 by Chikkappa
Udaiyar, Diwan of the king of Vijayanagar.
Anantapur Town.-Head-quarters of the District, subdivision, and
taluk of the same name, Madras, situated in 14 4t' N. and
77 37' E., on the Guntakal-Bangalore branch of the Southern Mahratta
Railway, 56 miles from Bellary and 216 miles from Madras. Population
(I90I), 7,938. The town was built in 1364 by Chikkappa Udaiyar,
Diwan of the king of Vijayanagar, who named it after his wife Ananta.
The Hande family of Hanumappa Nayudu received a grant of the
country in the sixteenth century from the rulers of Vijayanagar, and
held it for two centuries. In I757 it was besieged by the Maratha
chief, Morari Rao of Gooty, who was bought off for Rs. 50,000. In
1775 Haidar Ali of Mysore took Gooty and Bellary, and extracted a
payment of Rs. 69,000 from the country. This excessive tribute having
fallen into arrears, Haidar imprisoned the chief and attached his
possessions. The family then fell into obscurity. The old poligdr died
in I788. Soon after this Tipu, who could spare none of his troops to
keep order in distant parts, ordered all the males of the family to be
put to death lest they should give trouble, and they were hanged on
hooks outside the town. The third son, who had been at Seringapatam,
escaped and took refuge with the Raja of Kalahasti. In 1799 he
returned to Anantapur, but soon submitted to the Nizam, who granted



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html