Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 350.


Graphics file for this page
350


ANANTAPUR TO zWN


him the village of Siddarampuram. On his death in I80o the direct
line became extinct.
When the Ceded Districts were handed over to the English in I8oo,
the first Collector, Major (afterwards Sir Thomas) Munro, chose Anan-
tapur for his residence. His office, known as Munro's Hall, is still
shown. In 1840 the head-quarters of the old Bellary District (in which
the present Anantapur Collectorate was then included) were moved to
Bellary, and Anantapur became the residence of a Sub-Collector. In
1869 the Sub-Collector was removed to Gooty. In 1882, however, the
present District of Anantapur was constituted and the place became its
chief town. It was made a municipality in I869. The income of the
council during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 15,930, and
the expenditure Rs. 15,490. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 17,500,
mostly derived from the house and land taxes and school fees; and the
expenditure was Rs. i6,000. The native town lies in a cramped and
unhealthy situation under the embankment of the great tank of Ananta-
pur, surrounded by 'wet' cultivation. The residences of the European
officials are in a pleasanter spot farther west, on higher and drier
ground.
Anantapur.-Village in the Sagar taluk of Shimoga District, Mysore,
situated in 14 5' N. and 75 13' E., 29 miles from Shimoga town.
Population (1901), 377. It was formerly a place of importance, and
was originally named after Andhasura, a chief subdued by Jinadatta,
the founder of the Humcha kingdom, in the eighth century. In the
eleventh century Andhasura belonged to the Chalukyas, and was in-
cluded in the Santalige 'thousand' province'. In 1042 it was made
an agrahara for 1,200 Brahmans, and in 1079 is spoken of as the
capital. In the seventeenth century the Keladi king, Venkatappa Naik,
established here a Sivachara nmath, with a fine pond, called Champaka-
sarasu, and gave the name Anandapura to the town, since changed to
Anantapura. It was several times the object of attack during the wars
of Haidar and Tipu's time, and again in the insurrection of I830.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands.-A group of islands in the Bay
of Bengal, to which geographically belong also the Preparis and Cocos
groups (under the Government of Burma). The islands are formed by
the summits of a submarine range connected with the Arakan Yoma of
Burma, stretching in a curve, to which the meridian 920 E. forms
a tangent, between Cape Negrais and Sumatra (Achin Head). The
extreme north point of the Andamans lies in 13 34' 3/" N., and the
extreme south point of the Nicobars in 6 45' N.
This curved line of submarine hills extends for 700 geographical
1 These numerical designations, almost invariably attached to the names of ancient
divisions in Mysore, apparently refer to their revenue capacity or to the number of their
ndds.



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html