Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 382.


Graphics file for this page
382


ANHIL VADA


related that the city was named after a Bharwad shepherd, Anhila, who
assisted Vanaraja in finding a site for it. The early history of the
kingdom is somewhat obscure; but it seems certain that Vanaraja ruled
till 780, and was succeeded by eight rulers of his line, the last of whom
died in 961. In that year the Chavada dynasty was replaced by the
Solankis or Chalukyas, of whom the first, Mularaja (941-96), is the
most famous. He extended his dominions into Kathiawar, Cutch, and
South Gujarat. The direct descendants of Mflaraja ruled at Anhilvada
for two centuries. They were Saivas in religion, and were specially
attached to the temple of Somnath at Somnath Patan. Mahmud of
Ghazni captured and sacked the temple in 1026, during the reign
of Bhima I. On the withdrawal of Mahmud, Bhima rebuilt the temple,
and the kingdom continued in the hands of his direct successors until
II43. From that date a collateral branch of Mularaja's descendants
ruled in Anhilvada for a hundred years, claiming sovereignty over
Kathiawar and Malwa, and at one time (ii6o) invading the Konkan.
On the extinction of the line of Mularaja in 1242 the Vaghelas of
Dholka ruled in these territories, till ousted by the invasion of Ala-ud-din
Khiljt in I298.
Anjaneri (Aitini).-A flat-topped mass of hill, 4,295 feet above the
sea, in the District and tdauka of Nasik, Bombay, situated in 19 57' N.
and 73 35' E. It is almost detached from its western neighbour
Trimbak by the chief pass leading into Igatpuri, and falls eastward into
the plain by a short and low chain of bare hills. The area covered
by the main body of the hill is about 3 square miles, or a little more.
It is 4 miles from Trimbak and about 14 from Nasik town. At the
foot of the hill, on the north-east, is a village which bears the same
name. The top of the fort, where there is a small temple or shrine in
honour of the presiding goddess Anjini, is reached by paths on the
north-east and south-east. The former passes through an opening in
the steep scarp. Remains near the top of the crevice show that when
the fort was in its prime the whole of the darzedza or 'gate,' as the cleft
is called, was paved in broad steps with stone cut out of the adjacent
basalt. The main attraction of the north-eastern side of the first
plateau, where three bungalows for European residents are situated, is
a charming little pond, surrounded with jdmibul trees on three sides.
Owing to the lowness of its bank on the fourth, a magnificent view is
obtained over the District spread out like a map below. In the upper
cliff below the topmost plateau, just above the pond and bungalows, is
a small Jain cave with a roughly cut seated Jina within. A small
doorway, with figures on either side, gives access to a long veranda, off-
which again is the shrine. In the lower cliff is another small Jain cave
with better finished sculpture. Parasnath flanks the doorways. The
elevation above the sea, the splendid views, the comparatively shaded



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html