ANKLES V. R TO WVN
traders used Anjidiv as a port of call, and they are said to have seized
the island from the Vijayanagar garrison. The connexion of the
Portuguese with Anjidiv dates from 1498, when it was visited by Vasco
da Gama: and they established themselves here in 1505 by con-
structing a fortress. After withdrawing temporarily from the island in
1506 the Portuguese resumed possession, and have since held it.
Upon the cession of Bombay island and harbour to the English
Crown in I66i, a force of 500 men under Sir Abraham Shipman was
dispatched to take possession of the new acquisition. During the
delay that occurred in negotiating the transfer, they took up quarters
on Anjidiv in 1664, where Sir Abraham and 381 men succumbed to
an unhealthy monsoon. In I682 the present fort was erected, and was
held by the Portuguese garrison against the assaults of the Marathas.
The island has been used as a penal settlement for Goa.
Ankai (or Ankai-Tankai).-Hill-fort in the Yeola taluka of Nasik
District, Bombay, situated in 20° Ii' N. and 74° 27' E., 900 feet above
the plain and 3,182 above sea-level. Ankai and Tankai are twin hills,
joined by a low ridge. The hill-top is surrounded by a scarp 150 to
200 feet in height, and is about a mile in circumference. There are
seven lines of fortifications, and this was the strongest fort in the
District. Tankai seems to have been used as a storehouse. In 1635
Ankai-Tankai was captured, with Alka-Palka, by Shah Jahan's general
the Khan-i-Khanan. The fort is mentioned (I665) by Thevenot. In
the last Maratha War Colonel McDowell's detachment came to Ankai
on April 5, i8r8, and captured it without firing a gun. There are three
temples on the hill, all very rough and unfinished. On the south face
of Tankai are seven Jain caves, richly sculptured but much defaced.
Ankevalia.-PettyaState in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Anklesvar Taluka.-Southern taluka of Broach District, Bombay
(including the petty petha or subdivision of Hansot), lying between
21° 25' and 21° 43' E. and 720 35' and 73° 8' E., with an area of 294
square miles. The population in I90o was 61,I3I, compared with 70,703
in 1891, the average density being 208 persons per square mile.
It contains 99 villages and two towns, ANKLESVAR (population I0,225),
its head-quarters, being the larger. The land revenue and cesses
amounted in 1903-4 to 5.9 lakhs. Seven square miles are occupied by
the lands of alienated villages. The water-supply is good. About
3 miles from the Bombay, Baroda, and Central India Railway on the
east lies an elevated ridge, from which the country slopes gradually
down towards the Narbada. In seasons of heavy rainfall many villages
are flooded. The tract on the north of the Narbada is the most fertile
in the taluka, while the lands in the peninsula between the Kim and
Narbada, which produce only wheat and jowdr, require heavy rain.
Anklesvar Town.-Head-quarters of the tiluka of the same name
VOL. V. C C