Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 5, p. 388.


Graphics file for this page
388


ANUPSHAHR TO WN


78 6' E., 25 miles east of Bulandshahr town, on a metalled road.
Population (I90o), 8,6oi. It was founded in the reign of Jahangir by
the Bargujar Raja Anup Rai, from whom it derives its name, and was
of great importance in the eighteenth century as commanding an
important crossing of the Ganges on the road from Delhi to Rohilkhand.
In 1757 Ahmad Shah Durrani established cantonments here for a time,
and returned to them in '759. It was from this place that the coalition
was organized which led to the overthrow of the Marathas at Panipat in
I761. In 1773 the combined forces of the Oudh Wazir and the British
made Anupshahr their rendezvous when opposing the Maratha invasion
of Rohilkhand; and from that date till i806 Anupshahr was garrisoned
by British troops, afterwards removed to Meerut. During the Mutiny
the Jats successfully defended the crossing of the river by the rebels
from Rohilkhand. The town stands on the high bank of the Ganges
and is well drained. There is a fine bazar, and besides the tahsit
a dispensary is maintained. The Zanana Bible and Medical Mission
and the Church Missionary Society have branches here. Anupshahr
has been a municipality since i866. During the ten years ending 1901
the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 9,000. In 1903-4 the
income was Rs. 1I,ooo, chiefly derived from octroi (Rs. 6,ooo); and the
expenditure was Rs. ,00ooo. The town was formerly the northern limit
of traffic on the Ganges, and a factory of the East India Company was
maintained here for some time; but the construction of the Naraura
weir in i878 cut it off from the lower reaches of the river, and at
present it is merely a dep6t for timber and bamboos. The through
trade across the river has also been diverted by railways, and at present
sugar is the chief article of commerce. There is a small manufacture
of cloth, blankets, and shoes for the local demand. The tahsil school
contains i60 pupils, and there is also a Mission Anglo-vernacular
school.
Aonla Tahsil.--South-western tahsil of Bareilly District, United
Provinces, comprising the parganas of Aonla, Ballia, Saneha, and
Sirauli (South), and lying between 28 ro' and 28 3I' N. and 780 58'
and 79 26' E., with an area of 306 square miles. Population increased
from 195,950 in i891 to 211,836 in 1901. There are 320 villages and
three towns, including AONLA (population, 14,383), the tahsil head-
quarters. The demand for land revenue in I903-4 was Rs. 2,75,000,
and for cesses Rs. 46,000. The density of population, 692 persons
per square mile, is almost exactly the District average. On the north
and east the Ramganga flows in a shifting channel, and its tributary,
the Aril, crosses the south-west portion. The alluvial tract bordering
on the larger river contains good grazing and is very fertile, except
where a deposit of sand has been left by floods. A gentle slope leads
to the uplands, watered by wells and by the Aril, which is dammed



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html