A URAIYA TAHSIL
and AURAIYA (7,393), the lahsil head-quarters. The demand for land
revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,31,000, and for cesses Rs. 53,000. The
density of population, 465 persons per square mile, is a little below
the District average. The tahsil is divided into four tracts by the
rivers Sengar, Jumna, and Chambal. Most of it is included in the
ghar, an area lying between the Sengar and Jumna. This has a light
sandy soil, which is, however, fertile where irrigated, and it is crossed
by the Bhognipur branch of the Lower Ganges Canal. North of the
Sengar the land is richer and is irrigated chiefly from wells. The high
land bordering on the Jumna is intersected by ravines and is generally
barren, while south of the Jumna the soil is poor and gravelly, except
near the rivers, where some good alluvial land is found. In 1903-4
the area under cultivation was 238 square miles, of which 82 were
irrigated, almost entirely from canals.
Auraiya Town.-Head-quarters of the lahsil of the same name
in Etawah District, United Provinces, situated in 26° 28' N. and
79° 3I' E., 42 miles from Etawah town. It lies on the old imperial
road from Agra to Allahabad, at the point where this is crossed by.
the metalled road from Jalaun to Debiapur-Phaphund station on the
East Indian Railway. Population (I90I), 7,393. The town is said to
have been founded early in the sixteenth century, and contains some
Hindu temples dating from a little later, and two mosques built by
a Rohilla governor in the eighteenth century. It also possesses some
good sarais, a fine market-place called Humeganj, after a former
Collector, and a dispensary. It is administered under Act XX of i856,
with an income of about Rs. 2,500. Trade is increasing, especially
with Gwalior and Jalaun, and the bazar has recently been extended
towards the south. There is one cotton gin, employing 200 hands in
1903, and a second was completed at the end of that year. The town
school has about 200 pupils, and an aided primary school 25.
Aurangabad Division.-North-western Division of the State of
Hyderabad, lying between 18° 28' and 20° 40' N., and 74° 40' and
78° 6' E. The head-quarters of the Subahddr (Commissioner) are at
Aurangabad city. The total population of the Division increased from
2,610,247 in I88i to 2,909,561 in I891, but decreased to 2,363,r14 in
I901, owing to the drought and famine in the two preceding years.
The total area is I9,071 square miles; and the density is 124 persons
per square mile, compared with 135 for the whole State, this Division
being the third largest in area and the fourth in population. In I901
the population consisted of 89 per cent. Hindus, Io per cent. Musal-
mans, 2,846 Christians (of whom 2,613 were natives), 12,477 Jains,
256 Parsis, 2,563 Sikhs, and 9,380 Animists.
The number of towns in the Division is 20, or about one-quarter
of the total number in the Dominions, and there are 5,490 villages.