Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 150.


Graphics file for this page


I50


A URANGjBAD CII'T


the famines of 1897 and 900oo and but for the opening of the Hyder-
abad-Godavari Valley Railway, the country around would have been
depopulated. The increase of population in 19go is due to the immi-
gration of famine-stricken people from the neighbouring villages. A
system of water-supply was introduced by Malik Ambar, and completed
by Aurangzeb and though it has largely fallen into decay, it still yields
sufficient water to supply the needs of the people. A new system of
water-works was opened in 1892, to supply filtered water to the canton-
ment.
Many places of interest are situated in the city and its suburbs,
among which may be mentioned the makbara or tomb of Aurangzeb's
wife, the Jama Masjid built by Malik Ambar, the ancient palace of the
Nizam near Borapal, and the Kila Ark or citadel, which was Aurangzeb's
palace. About 2 miles north of the city are the Aurangabad caves,
12 in number. These are of Buddhist origin, and are among the latest
known, while they present especially interesting features.
[Archaeoloical Survey Reports of Western India, vol. iii.]
Aurangabad Subdivision.-Western subdivision of Gaya District,
Bengal, lying between 24 29' and 25 7' N. and 84 o' and 84 44' E.,
with an area of 1,246 square miles. The north of the subdivision is
a level alluvial tract, but the south is more undulating and contains
numerous hills, the outliers of the Chota Nagpur plateau. The popula-
tion in 19oI was 467,675, compared with 472,507 in I891. The density
is 375 persons per square mile, being highest in the north-west where
the soil is irrigated by the Son Canals system. It contains two towns,
AURANGABAD (population, 4,685), the head-quarters, and DAUDNAGAR
(9,744); and 2,042 villages. DEO, the seat of the Deo family, contains
a fine stone-built temple; some other interesting antiquities are referred
to in the article on GAYA DISTRICT.
Aurangabad Town.-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the
same name in Gaya District, Bengal, situated in 24 45' N. and
84 23' E., on the grand trunk road. Population (I901), 4,685.
The town contains the usual public offices; the sub-jail has accom-
modation for fifteen prisoners. The trade consists chiefly of food-
grains, oilseeds, leather, and piece-goods.
Aurangabad Saiyid.-Town in Bulandshahr District, United
Provinces, situated in 28 22' N. and 78 5' E., 9 miles north-east
of Bulandshahr town. Population (I901), 5,916. It was founded
in 1704 by Saiyid Abdul Aziz, who undertook, with the permission
of the emperor Aurangzeb, to eject the turbulent Jaroliyas of the
neighbourhood. His descendants still own the town. The site is
low and surrounded by water during the rains. Aurangabad is admin-
istered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of Rs. 2,000. Trade
is entirely local. There is a primary school with 50 pupils.



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html