during the last half of the sixteenth and the early years of the seven-
teenth century, but in 1636 it became the capital of an empire which
then included Pegu and the greater part of what is now Burma. The
Peguans, however, revolted about the middle of the eighteenth century
and shook off the Burmese yoke, and in 1752 Ava was captured by
a Talaing army and burnt to the ground. It was not long before
Alaungpaya had turned the tables on the Talaing conquerors; but
that monarch made his own capital at Shwebo, and Ava did not be-
come the head-quarters of government again till 1766, when Sinbyushin,
one of Alaungpaya's sons, rebuilt the palace and moved his court there.
The town did not long remain the capital, however. A few years later
Bodawpaya built a new city at Amarapura, and the court and its follow-
ing migrated there in 1783. Bagyidaw, Bodawpaya's grandson, moved
the seat of government back to Ava in 1822; and the town was the
capital of Burma during the first Burmese War, and was the objective
of the British troops in their advance up the Irrawaddy in 1826. It
was Bagyidaw's successor, Tharrawaddy, who finally abandoned the
city as the capital, and established himself at Amarapura, and since
1837 no Burmese monarch has resided in Ava.
Preparations were made at Ava to arrest the advance of the British
up the Irrawaddy at the time of the annexation of Upper Burma in
I885; steps were taken by the Burmans to block the channel of the
river opposite the town and troops were collected, but the resistance
collapsed. Ava was for some time after the annexation the head-
quarters of a separate District, which was, however, before long absorbed
into Sagaing District.
Avachar.-Petty State in the DANGS, Bombay.
Avani.-Sacred village and hill in the Mulbagal taduk of Kolar Dis-
trict, Mysore, situated in I3° 6' N. and 78° 20' E. Population (I90o),
949. The region is said to be Avantikakshetra, one of the ten places of
greatest sanctity in India. Valmiki is believed to have lived at Avani,
and Rama to have encamped here on his return from Ceylon. Inscrip-
tions call it the ' Gaya of the South.' There is a group of temples dedi-
cated to Rama and his brothers, and many old inscriptions have been
found. Avani was ruled for forty years to 961 by Tribhuvanakartar-
Deva, who built fifty temples and made tanks. It is the residence of
a guru of the Smarta sect, and the scene of a great annual festival
Avanti.-Old name of UJJAIN, Gwalior State, Central India.
Avasgarh.-Former name of BARWANI STATE, Central India.
Avati.-Village in the north of the Devanhalli taluk of Bangalore
District, Mysore, situated in 13° 18' N. and 77° 43' E. Population
(1901), 1,226. The name is properly Ahuti. It is of interest as being
the original settlement of the seven enterprising farmers of the Morasu