Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 162.


Graphics file for this page
I62


AZAllGARH DISTRIC T


162 were girls, besides 114 private schools with 1,285 pupils, including
34 girls. One of the schools is managed by Government, and I33 by
the District and municipal boards. Out of a total expenditure on
education of Rs. 41,000, Rs. 35,000 was charged to Local funds, and
the receipts from fees were Rs. 4,000.
There are 8 hospitals and dispensaries, with accommodation for 66
in-patients. In 1903 the number of cases treated was 71,000, including
745 in-patients, and 2,559 operations were performed. The expenditure
amounted to Rs. Io,ooo, chiefly met from Local funds.
About 42,000 persons were successfully vaccinated in 1903-4, repre-
senting a proportion of 27 per I,ooo of population. Vaccination is
compulsory only in the municipality of Azamgarh.
[J. R. Reid, Settlement Report (877); District Gazetteer (883, under
revision).]
Azamgarh Tahsil.-Head-quarters tahsil of Azamgarh District,
United Provinces, conterminous with the pargana of Nizamabad, lying
between 25 53' and 26 I2' N. and 82 52' and 83 I6' E., with an area
of 314 square miles. Population decreased from 289,488 in I891 to
264,114 in 901o, the rate of decrease being the lowest in the District.
There are 809 villages and two towns, including AZAIGARH, the District
and tahsil head-quarters (population, 18,835). The demand for land
revenue in r903-4 was Rs. 3,18,000, and for cesses Rs. 5,000ooo. The
density of population, 841 persons per square mile, is the highest in
the District. Across the centre of the tahsil flows the Tons, while the
Mangai traverses the southern portion. In the north a considerable
area produces a great variety of crops, but in the south rice is the most
important staple. The area under cultivation in 1897-8 was I85
square miles, of which II9 were irrigated. Wells supply three-fourths
of the irrigated area, and tanks, swamps, and small streams the
remainder.
Azamgarh Town.-Head-quarters of Azamgarh District and ta/hsi,
United Provinces, situated in 26 5' N. and 83 I2' E., on the Tons and
on a branch of the Bengal and North-Western Railway. Population
(I901), I8,835. The town was founded about I665 by Azam Khan,
son of one of the Gautam Rajas referred to in the history of AZAMGARH
DISTRICT. The dilapidated remains of the fort built by Azam Khan
and a temple erected in the latter part of the eighteenth century are the
only buildings of any age. Azamgarh is almost surrounded by a loop
of the Tons, which is subject to heavy floods, occasionally causing great
damage. Thus in I894 it was estimated that the loss at Azamgarh was
about Rs. 50,000, and the flood of I871 was still more serious. An
embankment was made between I896 and 1898, which affords pro-
tection from floods, at a cost of Rs. 13,000. The chief public buildings
are the male and female dispensaries, the town hall, the church,



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html