BABA BUDAlXl iO UNTAINS
to this, north-eastwards, is Baba-Budan-giri or Vayu-parvata (6,214 feet),
on which are the sources of the Veda and Avati rivers. The hollow
which succeeds marks the shrine of the eponymous saint Baba Budan.
The conspicuous conical peak on the outer verge of the eastern face is
Deviramman-gudda, where a beacon is lighted at the Dipavali festival.
Near the north-east angle is Kalhatti-giri (6,155 feet), north of which
a hot-season retreat has been established. These vast wilds and
solitudes, with scarcely a human habitation, were formerly well stocked
with game, from the elephant and bison downwards. The advance of
the coffee-planter has now forced back wild animals to the remoter and
more secluded spots. The Baba-Budan-giri was the cradle of coffee
cultivation in Southern India; and the slopes of the entire range, as
well as the tract south of the forest-bound Jagar valley, are now
occupied by coffee gardens, both European and native. The first
European garden was opened about I840, to the south of Baba-Budan-
giri. Two roads run along the eastern face of the mountains, one over
the summit and the other at a lower level. About midway in the latter
is Santaveri, chiefly a colony of Lambanis, whence there is a road to
Kalhatti at the top. On the north-east of the mountains are the Abbe
falls of 600 feet. The name Baba Budan is that of a Musalman saint
who took up his abode on the hill so called, and reared coffee from
seeds he obtained at Mocha when on pilgrimage, thus introducing that
important staple into India. A cave said to contain his tomb is in
charge of a Musalman fakir at Attigundi, the only village on the
hills, and is visited by pilgrims of both creeds. Hindus claim that
the tomb is the throne of Dattatreya, whose appearance at the mouth
of this cave will herald the final avatar of Vishnu and usher in the
Baberii.-Tahsil of Banda District, United Provinces, conterminous
with the pargana of Augasi, lying along the Jumna, between 25° 23' and
25° 4i' N. and 80° 3o' and 80° 57' E.. with an area of 363 square miles.
Population fell from 96,284 in 1891 to 77,395 in 190o, the rate of
decrease being the highest in the District. There are 121 villages, but
no town. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,26,000,
and for cesses Rs. 20,000. The density of population, 213 persons per
square mile, is almost exactly the District average. Near the south and
east rice is grown in considerable quantities, this tract being known as
Jurar. The Jumna, as usual, is fringed by a network of deep ravines.
In 1903-4 only one square mile was irrigated, out of I89 square miles
under cultivation. The Ken Canal, when completed, will supply part
of this tahsil.
Babra.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Bachhraon.-Town in the Hasanpur tahsil of Moradabad District,
United Provinces, situated in 28° 56' N. and 78° I5' E., 41 miles west