BAGALKOT TOWN 181
The chief product is indigo. The taluk suffers from deficient water-
supple ; it possesses two of the finest tanks in the District-at Badvel
and Porumamilla-but has only one river, the Sagileru. The Sagileru
irrigation project, which was completed in 1898-9, consists of a dam
across the river and a channel 10 miles long supplying a chain of tanks.
It has prayed successful, as all the land suitable for cultivation and
commanded by it has been readily taken up.
Badvel Town ('the town of cloth'). -Head-quarters of the taluk of
the same name in Cuddapah District, Madras, situated in 14° 44' N,
and 79º 4' E., in the valley of the Sagileru, 32 miles from Cuddapah
town. Population ( 1901) , 10,833 . I t lies near a large tank which
irrigates a wide extent of land. In the hamlet of Lakshmipalem is an
ancient temple to Prasanna Venkateswaraswami, and in the town itself
are two other old shrines.
Baffa.Town in the Mansehra tahsil of Hazara District, North-West
Frontier Province, situated in 34º 26' N. and 73º 13' E., on the right bank
of the Siran river in the northern corner of the Pakhli plain. Population
(1901), 7,029. This is the principal mart of Northern Hazara and of
the neighbouring independent tracts. The municipality was created in
1873. The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged
Rs. 4, 5000, and the expenditure Rs. 4,600. In 1903-4 the income was
Rs. 5,300, chiefly derived from octroi ; and the expenditure was
Rs. 4,700. A vernacular middle school is maintained by the muni-
cipality and the District board.
Bagalkot Taluka.- South-western taluka of Bijapur District, Bom-
bay, 1ying between 16º 4' and 16º 28' N, and 75 º 2' and 7 6° 3' E, ,
with an area, including the Bilgi petty subdivision, of 683 square miles,
It contains one town, BAGALKOT (population, 19,020), the head-quarters ;
and 160 villages. The population in 1901 was 123,456, compared with
119,033 in 1891 . The density, 181 persons per square mile, is higher
than in an other taluka. The demand far land revenue in 1903-4
was 1.25 lakh , and for cesses Rs. 10,000. An area of about 100 acres
is protected from famine by the Muchkundi tank, constructed with a
capital outlay (to the end of 1903-4) of over 1½ lakhs. Far five
years from October, 1903, its water is to be supplied free for non-
perennial crops, a rate of Rs. 8 per acre being charged upon land bear-
ing perennial craps. Bagalkot has the best climate in the District.
The annual rainfall averages nearly 24 inches.
Bagalkot Tow.-Head-quarters of the taluka of the same name
in Bijapur District, Bombay, situated in 16º 11' N, and 75° 42' E., on
the Ghatprabha river and on the Southern Mahratta Railway. Popula-
tion (1901), 19,020. Bagalkot is a place of considerable trade, with
manufactures of silk and cotton goods and five cotton-presses, At
Muchkundi, about 5 miles to the south-west of Bagalkot, is a large tank,