BAGALKOT TO 1VWN
constructed for irrigation. Bagalkot has three markets an old market
and two Jain and Lingayat markets. The municipality, established in
i865, had an average income during the decade ending 1901 of
Rs. 24,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 23,000. The town con-
tains a Subordinate Judge's court, a dispensary, and a municipal middle
school. In early times Bagalkot is said to have belonged to the
musicians of Ravana, the demon king of Ceylon. In the sixteenth
century it was in possession of the Vijayanagar kings. From 1664 to
1755 it was under the management of the Savanur Nawab, from whom
it was taken by the Peshwa. In 1778 it passed to Haidar and again to
the Peshwas, who in i8ro handed it over to Nilkanth Rao, Sarsuibahdar,
who held it until General Munro took it in 1818. Under the Peshwas,
Bagalkot had a mint which was not abolished till I835. The town
contains four boys' schools with 558 pupils, and a girls' school with 80.
Bagasra.-Petty State in KATHI.WAR, Bombay.
Bagasra.-Town in the Bagasra taiuka of the Sorath Prant, Kathia-
war, Bombay, situated in 2I° 29' N. and 71° E., I5 miles from
Kunkavav on the Bhaunagar-Gondal-Junagarh-Porbandar Railway.
Population (1901), 9,178. It belongs to the Vala Kathis, and is the
seat of an Agency thana. Bagasra is situated in the vicinity of the Gir,
or wild highlands which occupy the centre of the Kathiawar peninsula.
It was conquered about 1525 by Vala Mancha Bhaiya of Deogam
Devli. Square cotton shirts (chophals) and women's scarves (sdlas)
are manufactured. It is also a mart for the Gir timber.
Bagdi.--Ancient name for South Bengal. See BAGRI.
Bagepalli.-Northern taluk of Kolar District, Mysore, including the
sub-tdhik of Gudibanda, and lying between 13° 37' and 13° 58' N. and
77° 39' and 780 8' E., with an area of 447 square miles. The popula-
tion in I9o0 was 65,621, compared with 58,086 in I891. The thluk
contains two towns, Gudibanda (population, 2,384) and Bagepalli
(1,789), the head-quarters; and 372 villages. The land revenue
demand in I903-4 was Rs. 1,47,000. The centre is crossed from
north to south by the Dokkala-konda hills, and is covered with low
jungle. The east drains to the Papaghni, which forms the large Vyasa-
samudra tank, and runs a little beyond the border, receiving in the
north-east a stream called the Vandaman from the centre. The west is
watered by the Chitravati, which is dammed for some small channels.
Iron ore is found and largely manufactured. There is a good breed of
Bageshwar.-Village in the District and tahsil of Almora, United
Provinces, situated in 29° 51' N. and 79° 48' E., at the confluence of
the Sarja and Gomati, which form a tributary of the Kali or SARDA.
Population fluctuates considerably, and is about 800 in the autumn.
The village was formerly a great trade centre for the exchange of the