produce of Tibet with that of the plains and also imported goods,
but the Bhotia merchants now travel to the submontane marts.
Bageshwar is also a place of pilgrimage, and contains a temple
built about I450, but an older inscription records a grant to a
temple here by a Katyuri Raja. There are some curious tombs made
of tiles, which are assigned by tradition to Mughal colonies planted
by Timur. A dispensary is maintained, and there is a small school
with 24 pupils.
Bagevadi Taluka.-Central taluZka of Bijapur District, Bombay,
lying between i6° 20' and i6° 46' N. and 75° 38' and 760 i6' E., with
an area of 764 square miles. It contains II7 villages, including
BAGEVADI (population, 6,159), the head-quarters, and MANGOLI (5,287),
but no town. The population in 9go1 was 83,620, compared with
102,444 in 1891. The density, Io9 persons per square mile, is much
below the District average. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4
was 2.19 lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 17,000. The Don valley in the
north is very rich black soil; the rest of the daluka is red trap in the
uplands and black soil in the hollows. The annual rainfall averages
about 25 inches.
Bagevadi Village.-Head-quarters of the tdIzka of the same name
in Bijapur District, Bombay, situated in i6° 34' N. and 75° 59' E.,
12 miles from Telgi station on the Southern Mahratta Railway. Popu-
lation (I90o), 6,159. According to one account Bagevadi was the birth-
place of Basava, the founder or reviver of the Lingayat faith. It
has a temple of Baseshwar, with shrines of Ganpati, Sangameshwar,
Mallikarjun, and Baseshwar. Of the chief wells, one named Basvanna
is believed to be of the same age as the Basvanna temple. Bagevadi is
said to have been formerly called Nilgiri Pattan, and afterwards Bagodi,
a contracted form of Bagida Hode, i.e. a bent ear of jowar, to which
tradition ascribes the origin of Basvanna. The village contains a dis-
pensary, a boys' school with I67 pupils, and a girls' school with 41.
Bagh.-Village in the Amjhera district of Gwalior State, Central
India, celebrated for the Buddhist excavations in its neighbourhood.
It stands at the confluence of the Wagh or Bagh and Girna streams,
from the former of which it takes its name, in 22° 22' N. and 74° 48' E.
Population (I90o), 1,793. As is usual in places containing Buddhist
remains, the village lies on an old main route, that from Gujarat to
Malwa, close to the Udaipur g/,dt (pass), I2 miles north of Kukshi.
Tradition assigns great importance to the place in early days, and the
ruins of a large town are still traceable. This town is said to have been
founded in the tenth century by one Raja Mordhaj, who built the local
fort, remains of which are still to be seen. Later on it fell to Raja
Bagh Singh, whose descendants live in Girwani close by, and are still
locally called Raja. In the eighteenth century it passed to the Peshwa