Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 213.


Graphics file for this page


BAHRAMPUR


213


the tahsil, and on the south lies the upland plateau, drained by
the Tirhi. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 591 square miles,
of which 105 were irrigated. Tanks or jhils are the chief source of
supply, but wells are more used than in other parts of the District.
Bahraich Town.-Head-quarters of Bahraich District and tahsil,
United Provinces, situated in 27 34' N. and 81 36' E., on the Bengal
and North-Western Railway. Population (1901), 27,304. The prin-
cipal building of interest is the shrine of Saiyid Salar Masfid, a famous
warrior and saint, who invaded Oudh about 1033, and, after several
victories, was defeated and slain by the confederate Hindu chiefs. The
tomb is a domed building erected two centuries after the saint's death,
and it occupies the site of a former temple of the Sun. Firoz Shah
Tughlak added a wall and other buildings. A large fair, attended by
about oo00,000 persons, both Hindus and Muhammadans, takes place
annually in May, when large offerings are collected. The shrine is now
managed by a committee under the supervision of the Deputy-Com-
missioner. The town stands at the edge of a plateau on undulating
ground, and is well drained. It contains a municipal hall and male
and female dispensaries, besides a dispensary near the tomb, and is the
head-quarters of the American Methodist Mission in the District.
Bahraich has been administered as a municipality since 1869. During
the ten years ending I901 the income and expenditure averaged
Rs. 26,000 and Rs. 25,000 respectively. In 1903-4 the income was
Rs. 32,000, chiefly derived from octroi (Rs. 23,000); and the expenditure
was Rs. 34,000. The trade of the town has increased considerably
since the opening of the railway, and a large traffic with Nepal passes
through it. Grain, sugar, timber, and tobacco are the chief articles
dealt in, and there is a small manufacture of felt. There are i schools
with 900 pupils.
Bahramghat.-Village in the Fatehpur tahsil of Bara Banki Dis-
trict, United Provinces, situated in 27 7' N. and 81 27' E., on the
right bank of the Gogra at its junction with the Chauka, on the broad-
gauge line of the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway, and on a road from
Lucknow to Gonda. Population (I901), 2,838. The place was
formerly of commercial importance as the point at which traffic crossed
the Gogra; and a bridge of boats, replaced during the rains by a ferry,
is still maintained. The construction of the Elgin railway bridge a mile
away has reduced the trade passing through it, but there is still a large
traffic in timber and grain from Nepal and the Districts north of the
Gogra. Timber is sawn here, and there is a small manufacture of furni-
ture. A factory owned by a European turns out and repairs iron sugar-
mills.
Bahrampur.-Subdivision and town of Murshidabad District,
Bengal. See BERHAMPORE.



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html