Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 233.


Graphics file for this page
BALAPUR TAL UK3


233


Balaghat Tahsil (Burha).-Southern tahsil of Balaghat District,
Central Provinces,.lying between 21 I9' and 22 5' N. and 79 39' and
80 45' E. In 1901 the area of the tahsil was 1,687 square miles,
and the population 249,610. In 1904 a redistribution of territory
between the Balaghlt and Baihar lahsils took place, and the adjusted
figures of area and population are 1,388 square miles and 239,141
persons. The population in 1891 of the area now constituting the
tahsil was 268,108. The density is 172 persons per square mile. The
tahsil contains one town, BALAGHAT (population, 6,223), the head-
quarters of the District and tahsil; and 582 inhabited villages.
Excluding 308 square miles of Government forest, 56 per cent. of the
available area is occupied for cultivation. The demand for land
revenue in I903-4 was Rs. 2,16,000, and for cesses Rs. 24,000. The
tahsil consists of a rich lowland rice-growing tract on both sides of
the Wainganga river, and of a triangular block of hills to the north-
east of the plain. It includes five complete zamindiuri estates and
parts of three others. The total area of these estates is 439 square
miles, of which 267 are forest.
Balaghat Town.-Head-quarters of the District and tahsil of the
same name, Central Provinces, situated in 21 49' N. and 80 12' E.
Population (I901), 6,223. When the District of Balaghat was consti-
tuted in I867, the small village of Burha was selected as its head-
quarters, and the name has now been officially changed to correspond
with that of the District, which means 'above the passes.' So far as
the town is concerned, however, the name is a misnomer, as it lies
below the hills. Balaghat is a station on the new Satpura narrow-gauge
line, 25 miles from Gondia junction and 626 from Bombay. It is
situated two miles from the Wainganga river; and between the town
and river lie about 1,200 acres of small forest through which roads have
been laid out, while a large tank has been built on the outskirts of the
town. Balaghat was created a municipality in I877. The municipal
receipts during the decade ending I90o averaged Rs. 5,000. In 1903-4
they were Rs. 7,000, the chief source of income being a house tax.
A manganese mine is now being worked near the town. Balaghat has
a certain amount of trade, but no manufactures. It contains an English
middle school, a girls' school, and a dispensary.
Balapur Taluk.--iahk of Akola District, Berar, lying between
20 I7' and 20 55' N. and 7645' and 77 E., with an area of 569
square miles. The population rose from IoI,673 in I89I to I04,495
in I901, the density being 184 persons per square mile. The tdluk
contains I62 villages and three towns, BAIAPUR, the head-quarters
(population, 10,486), PATUR (5,993), and WADEGAON (5,825). A few
miles from Balapur are the ruins of the palace built at Shahpur by
Sultan Murad, fourth son of the emperor Akbar, immediately after the



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html