2BALAPUR TAL UK
annexation of Berar by the Mughals. The fort and chhalri at Balapur
and the shrine of Shaikh Babui at Patfr are interesting. The demand
for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,62,000, and for cesses Rs. 28,000.
The only natural boundaries are the Purna river on the north, and
the Balaghat hills on the south. The tZhuk lies almost entirely in the
fertile valley of the Purma; but the land in the south, which occupies
the lower slopes of the Balaghat, is comparatively poor.
Balapur Town.-Head-quarters of the taluk of the same name in
Akola District, Berar, situated in 20° 40' N. and 76o 50' E., 6 miles south
of Puras station on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Population
(1901), 10,486. The Mun river divides the town from the peth or
suburb. Balapur was the chief military station of the Mughals in
Berar after Ellichpur; and at a distance of a few miles from the town
Akbar's son, Sultan Murad, founded Shahpur, now in ruins. Balapur is
mentioned in the Ain-i-Akbari as one of the richest parganas in Berar.
Muhammad Azam Shah, third son of Aurangzeb, is said to have resided
here and to have built a mud fort. Close to the town Asaf Jah
defeated (July, 1720) the imperial forces dispatched against him by the
Saiyids, after a severe engagement in which his famous Deccan artillery
decided the day. The present fort of Bglapur is the largest and
strongest in Berar, the hill forts of the Melghat excepted. It was
completed in 1757 by Ismail Khan, first Nawab of Ellichpur, and
consists of an inner and outer fort, the former rising by the whole height
of its walls above the latter. The outer or lower fort is a decagon, with
a bastion at each angle, and the inner is a pentagon, the angles of
which likewise terminate in bastions. Both forts are entered by Mughal
gateways. The chhatrz, or pavilion, of Raja Jai Singh, a commander of
4,000 horse in the reign of Shah Jahan, and afterwards one of Aurang-
zeb's best generals, stands apart from the fort overlooking the river.
It is a graceful building of black stone, 38 feet high, on a high plinth.
A fine flight of steps formerly led down to the river, but these have
been washed away during the last thirty years. The Jama Masjid, once
a fine building go feet long, but now a ruin, dates from 1623. The
woven manufactures, formerly in high repute, are at present little sought
after, and the importance of the town is declining.
Balasinor State (Vaddsinor).-State in the Political Agency of
Rewa Kantha, Bombay, lying between 22° 53' and 23° I7' N. and
730° 7' and 730 40' E., with an estimated area of I89 square miles.
It is bounded on the north by the States of Mahi Kantha; on the east
by the State of Lunavada, and part of the Godhra taluka of the Panch
Mahals; on the west by Kaira District and a portion of the Parantij
tdluka of Ahmadabad; and on the south by Kaira District. The terri-
tory is about 30 miles in length and io to I2 in breadth, and is divided
into two distinct and nearly equal parts, the Balasinor and Virpur sub-