and next by the Ranas of IUdaipur. It passed finally into the possession
of the Jodhpur chiefs about the end of the eighteenth century.
Balia.-Village in Dinajpur District, Eastern Bengal and Assam.
Baliap1a.-Village in the head-quarters subdivision of Balasore
District, Bengal, situated in 21i 39' N. and 87° 17' E., on the Matai
river. Population (I90I), 298. Rice to the annual value of a lakh of
rupees is exported in sloops to Calcutta, Madras, and the Laccadives.
Balipara.-Village in Darrang District, Eastern Bengal and Assam,
situated in 26c 50' N. and 920 44' E., about 20 miles north of Tezpur
town. Balipara is the terminus of a light railway, which runs from
that point to the river ghdt at Tezpur. A large market is held every
Sunday, which is attended by great numbers of coolies from the tea
gardens in the neighbourhood. Prior to the construction of the rail-
way, an outpost of military police was stationed at Balipara to keep
the AKAS in check. In 1835 this outpost was rushed and seventeen
persons killed by the hillmen. In 1883 theAkas again gave trouble
and carried off two native forest officers from the Balipara range office.
Balisna.-Town in the Patan taluka, Kadi prdnt, Baroda State,
situated in 23° 49' N. and 72° 15' E., with a population (1901) of 4,650.
It is the home of the Leva Kunbis. The town possesses a vernacular
Balkh.-Town in Afghan-Turkistan, situated in 360 46' N.
66° 53' E.; 1,266 feet above the sea. Balkh (Bactra) was the capital
of the old Bactrian satrapy and subsequently of the Graeco-Bactrian
kings. Its siege by Antiochus the Great (206 B.c.), followed by the
temporary submission of king Euthydemus, marks the last effort of
Seleucid power in these regions. On the overthrow of the Graeco-
Bactrian kingdom, Balkh passed under the Yueh-chi and then under
the Parthians; and it was here that Artaxerxes (Ardeshir), the first of
the Sassanids, was acknowledged as Great King in supersession of the
Parthian dynasty. After the overthrow of the Sassanid kingdom by the
Arabs, Balkh and the adjoining territories, known as Haiathala or
Tukharistan (now Afghan-Turkistan), fell under their sway, and the
subsequent connexion of these was generally either with Khorasan or
with Trans-Oxiana. On the break-up of the Khalifat, Balkh came
successively under the rule of the Saffarids, the Samanids, the Ghaz-
nivids, the Seljuks, the Shahs of Khwarizm, the Mongols of Chingiz
who destroyed the city, and of Timuir, from one of whose descendants
it passed to the Uzbegs, Shay-banids, and Janids of the line of Chingiz.
It was temporarily occupied, under the reign of the Mughal emperor
Shah Jahan, by his sons, Murad and Aurangzeb, but was evacuated very
shortly. It passed into Afghan possession under Ahmad Shah Durrani,
but was again lost (1826) in the troublous period that followed the