Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 250.


Graphics file for this page
250


BALLABGIAGRHr T14 [1ISIL


It contains the two towns of BALLABGARH (population, 4,506), the head-
quarters, and FARIDABAD (5,3O1); and 247 villages. The land revenue
and cesses in I903-4 amounted to 2-7 lakhs. The country is in general
bare and treeless. On the east lie the Jumna lowlands, while the hills
that run south from the Delhi Ridge cross the western portion of
the tahsi/. The rest consists of a plain of sandy loam.
Ballabgarh Town.-Head-quarters of the tahszl of the same name
in Delhi District, Punjab, situated in 28 20' N. and 77 20' E.,
24 miles south of Delhi on the Delhi-Muttra road and the Delhi-Agra
branch of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Population (I90g),
4,506. The name Ballabgarh is a corruption of Balramgarh, 'the
fort of Balram,' a Jat chief who held the surrounding country under
Suraj Mal of Bharatpur, and built the fort and palace. In 1775 the
estate was transferred by the Delhi emperor to Ajit Singh, whose son
Bahadur Singh was recognized in 1803 as chief and built the town.
His successor was hanged for complicity in the Mutiny of i857 and
the estate confiscated. The municipality was created in 1867. The
income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 7,000, and the
expenditure Rs. 6,300. The income in I903-4 was Rs. 8,700, chiefly
derived from octroi; and the expenditure was Rs. 6,900. The town
possesses a vernacular middle school and a dispensary.
Ballalrayandurga.-Fortified hill in the Western Ghats, situated
in 13 8' N. and 75 25' E., in the south-west of Kadur District,
Mysore; 4,940 feet above the sea. It was a stronghold of the Hoysala
kings in the twelfth century. Hither the queen of Bednir fled for
refuge when her capital was taken by Haidar All in 1763, and here
she was captured and sent as a prisoner to Maddagiridurga.
Ballia District (Baliyd).-Eastern District of the Benares Division,
United Provinces, lying between 25 33' and 26 II' N. and 83 38'
and 84 39' E., with an area of 1,245 square miles. It consists of a
wedge-shaped tract of country forming the eastern extremity of the
Ganges-Gogra Doab. It is bounded on the north-east by the Gogra,
which separates it from Gorakhpur and from the Saran District of
Bengal; on the south by the Ganges, which divides it from the Shahabid
District of Bengal; and on the west by Azamgarh
Physical and Ghazipur. Ballia may be divided into two
asalmost equal areas: the modern alluvial formation
which lies along the banks of the Ganges and Gogra, especially the
former; and the uplands in the centre and west, which consist of
alluvium deposited in past ages. The meeting of these two areas takes
place by a gentle slope, and there is no prominent ridge. Every part
of the District is highly cultivated and thickly populated. The Ganges
and Gogra are the chief rivers, and every year carry on a continual
process of destruction and renewal. At each bend the concave bank is



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html