Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 382.


Graphics file for this page
382


BANKXPUR TO WN


seems to have been the head-quarters of a sarkdr of sixteen parganas.
In 1802 it was ceded to the British by the Peshwa under the Treaty
of Bassein. It contains a fine Jain temple of Rangaswami, with
a number of inscriptions. There are four schools, of which two are
for girls.
BankibazF.r.-Ancient village in the District of the Twenty-four Par-
ganas, Bengal, on the Hooghly river near the modern Palta, 3 miles
above Barrackpore. The name of this village has disappeared from the
map, and its site can be identified only from old charts. It formed the
principal settlement in India of the ill-fated Ostend Company which was
chartered by the Emperor of Austria in 1722. This settlement was
regarded with great jealousy by the English, French, and Dutch; and
the result was that, when the Court of Vienna was anxious to obtain the
European guarantee for the Pragmatic Sanction in 1727, the Company's
charter was suspended. In I733 the Muhammadan general (faujddr)
at Hooghly, at the instigation of the Dutch and English, besieged
Bankibazar; and the small garrison, after a despairing resistance against
overwhelming numbers, abandoned the place and set sail for Europe .
Bankipore Subdivision.-Head-quarters subdivision of Patna
District, Bengal, lying between 25 I2' and 25 40' N. and 84 42' and
85 i7' E., with an area of 334 square miles. Owing to plague mortality
and defective enumeration consequent on the prevalence of that disease
at the time of the Census of I90o, the population recorded in that year
was only 341,054, compared with 404,304 in I89I, the density being
1,02I persons per square mile. The subdivision is a flat alluvial
tract, bounded on the north by the Ganges. It contains two towns,
PATNA CITY (population, 134,785) and PHULWARI (3,415); and 975
villages. Its head-quarters are at BANKIPORE, which is included within
the municipal limits of Patna city.
Bankipore Town (Bankzpur).-Head-quarters of the Division and
District of Patna, Bengal, situated in 25 37' N. and 85 8' E., on the
right bank of the Ganges. It forms part of the Patna municipality, and
is the western suburb of that city in which most of the Europeans reside.
Their houses and the police lines, judicial courts, and other public
buildings extend along the river bank. Bankipore possesses a spacious
maiddin and a race-course. To the south of this lies the railway station,
which is 338 miles from Calcutta and is the junction for the Patna-Gaya
line and also for the Digha Ghat branch line connecting the East Indian
with the Bengal and North-Western Railway. At once the most promi-
nent and the most curious building in Bankipore is the old Government
goli or granary, a brick building in the shape of a bee-hive, with two
winding staircases on the outside, which have been ascended on horse-
1 The ' Ostenders' were again expelled from Bankibazar in I744 (Bengal Public
Consultations, October 14, 1744).



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html