Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 6, p. 383.


Graphics file for this page


BANKURA DISTRICT


383


back; it was erected by Warren Hastings shortly after the great famine
of I769-70 as a storehouse for grain. This storehouse has never been
filled, though during the scarcity of 1874 a good deal of grain was tem-
porarily stored here. In times of famine, proposals to fill it are still
made by the native press; but the loss from damp, rats, and insects
renders such a scheme of storing grain wasteful and impracticable. The
jail, which is situated near the railway station, has accommodation for
453 prisoners, who are chiefly employed in the preparation of mustard
oil, carpets, and road-metal. The Bihar National college, founded in
I883, teaches up to the B.A. standard, and the Bankipore female high
school, founded in I867, teaches up to the Entrance standard of the
Calcutta University.
Bankot (or Fort Victoria).-Village and old fort in the Dapoli tiluka
of Ratnagiri District, Bombay, situated in 17 59' N. and 73 3' E., at
the mouth of the Savitri river, 73 miles south-east from Bombay. Popu-
lation (I90I), 276. In the beginning of the eighteenth century ' Ban-
coote' was a pirate nest of the Maratha chief Angria. It was ceded by
the Marathas in exchange for the conquered fortress of Gheria in 1756,
and thus became the first British possession on the mainland of Western
India. It was renamed Fort Victoria, and was highly valued as sup-
plying Bombay with provisions, and also as affording the inhabitants
a change of air and scene. James Forbes (Oriental Memoirs) visited it
in 177I. Bankot lies at the foot of a rocky headland in the extreme
north of the District. The river is navigable by vessels of I6 feet
draught I8 miles to Mahapral, and by vessels drawing 7 feet Io miles
farther to Mahad in Kolaba District. Until i822 Bankot was the chief
town of Ratnagiri District. It is now little more than a large fishing
village with no manufactures. Coasting steamers call daily during the
fair season, but the port is closed in the south-west monsoon. The
value of the imports and exports is trifling. Bankot contains 7 schools,
attended by Ioo boys and 22 girls.
Bankura District.-District in the Burdwan Division of Bengal,
lying between 22 38' and 23 38' N. and 86 36' and 87 46' E., with
an area of 2,621 square miles. The Damodar river on the north sepa-
rates it from Burdwan; while it is bounded on the south by Midnapore,
on the east by Burdwan and Hooghly, and on the west by Manbhum.
The District forms part of the eastern fringe of the Chota Nagpur
plateau. In the north and west it consists of broken rocky country
with isolated spurs, of which the highest are the
SUSUNIA hill (I,442 feet) and Bihari Nath. To the ashects.
east the elevation is lower; the country has an
undulating park-like aspect, and eventually merges in the alluvial plains
of the Gangetic delta.
The chief rivers are the Damodar, which forms the northern



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html