The number of successful vaccinations in 1903-4 amounted to
10,424, representing 45 per i,ooo of the population. Vaccination is
compulsory only in the town of Bannu.
[District Gazetteer (1877, under revision).]
Bannu Tahsil.--Tahsl of Bannu District, North-West Frontier
Province, lying between 320 41' and 33° 5' N. and 70° 22'and 70° 58' E.,
with an area of 443 square miles. The tahsil is a green, fertile oasis,
well wooded and watered, and much intersected by water-channels. Its
population in 19oI was 130,444, compared with 120,324 in I89r.
It contains the town of BANNU (population, 14,29I), the tahsil and
District head-quarters; and 217 villages. The land revenue and cesses
amounted in I903-4 to Rs. 1,62,930.
Bannu Town (or Edwardesabad).-Head-quarters of the District
and tahsil of Bannu, North-West Frontier Province, situated in 33° o' N.
and 70° 36' E., near the north-west corner of the District, one mile
south of the Kurram river, 79 south of Kohat, and 89 north of Dera
Ismail Khan. Population (I901), 14,291, including cantonment and
civil lines (4,349). It was founded in I848 by Lieutenant (afterwards
Sir Herbert) Edwardes, who selected the site for political reasons. The
fort, erected at the same time, bore the name of Dhulipgarh (Dalipgarh),
in honour of the Maharaja of Lahore; and the bazar was also known
as Dhulipnagar (Dalipnagar). A town gradually grew up around the
bazar, and many Hindu traders removed hither from Bazar Ahmad
Khan, which had formed the commercial centre of the Bannu valley
prior to annexation. The Church Missionary Society supports a small
church and a high school founded in i865. The cantonment centres in
the fort of Dhulipgarh. Its garrison consists of a mountain battery, a
regiment of native cavalry, and two regiments of infantry. The munici-
pality was constituted in I867. The municipal receipts and expenditure
during the ten years ending I903-4 averaged Rs. 46,000. In 1903-4
the income was Rs. 47,000, chiefly derived from octroi; and the expendi-
ture was Rs. 55,ooo. The receipts and expenditure of cantonment funds
during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 4,200 and Rs. 3,700.
The profuse irrigation and insufficient drainage of the surrounding fields
render Bannu an unhealthy station. The town has a considerable
trade, embracing the whole traffic in local produce of the Bannu valley.
The nearest railway station is at Kohat on the Khushalgarh-Thal branch
of the North-Western Railway, 79 miles distant by road. A weekly
fair collects an average number of 8,ooo buyers and sellers. The chief
articles of trade are cloth, live-stock, wool, cotton, tobacco, and grain.
Bannu possesses a dispensary and two high schools, a public library,
and a town hall known as the Nicholson Memorial.
Bannur.-Town in the Tirumakudal-Narsipur taluk of Mysore Dis-
trict, Mysore, situated in 12° 20' N. and 760 52' E., I6 miles south-east