and bordering the Punjab, with an area of 1,317 square miles. The
population in 1901 was 14,922, an increase of 4,276 on the rough
estimate made in 1891. The head-quarters station, which bears the
same name as the tahs/l, is about 3,650 feet above sea-level. The
number of villages is 114. The land revenue in 1903-4 amounted to
Rs. 47,000. The frequent existence of occupancy rights is a special
feature of the tenures of the tahsil. In the Leghari-Barkhan circle,
one-third of the revenue levied is paid to the Leghari chief ass:,perior
proprietor of the soil, and he holds a revenue-free grant up to 1907.
Barkhan rugs are well-known, but have recently deteriorated in quality.
Barkhera.-The name of four Thakurdts in Central India: two in
the BHOPAWAR AGENCY, distinguished as Mota and Chhota, and two in
the MALWA AGENCY, known as Deo Dungr and Panth.
Barkur.-Village in the Udipi tiluk of South Kanara District,
Madras, situated in 13° 29′ N. and 74° 48′ E. The traditional capital
of Tuluva, the country of Tulu-speaking people, it was long the local
seat of the representatives of the Hoysala Ballalas of Dorasamudra, who
were Jains by religion. The local rulers attained practical independence
during the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, the most powerful of them
being named Bhutal Pandya (circa A.D. 1250), confounded by some with
the Bhutal Pandya to whom is ascribed the Aliya Santana law of inheri-
tance peculiar to the west coast, the origin of which is really much earlier.
When the Vijayanagar kingdom was founded in 1336, Harihara, its first
ruler, stationed a viceroy called the Rayaru here and built a fort,
remains of which are still to be seen. On the fall of Vijayanagar the
Bednur kings asserted their authority; and in the ensuing struggle the
Jains were almost extirpated and Barkur was destroyed. Ruined tanks
and Jain shrines and sculptures still abound, but its importance has
vanished and not one Jain house remains.
Barliyar.-Village in the Coonoor taluk of the Nilgiri District,
Madras, situated in 11° 20′ N. and 76° 50′ E., 61 miles from Coonoor,
and half-way down the ghdt road from Coonoor to Mettupalaiyam.
Population (1901), 2,234. Mr. E. B. Thomas, a former Collector of the
District, started a private garden here in i857, which was afterwards
taken over by Government. Experiments in tea cultivation and in the
growth of medicinal plants, camphor, rubbers, &c., which like a warm,
damp climate at a moderate elevation, have been made. The garden,
which is the only one of its kind in the Presidency, is in charge of the
Curator of the Government Gardens at Ootacamund.
Barmanda.-Petty State in MAHI KANTHA, Bombay.
Barmer.-Head-quarters of the Mallani district in the State of
Jodhpur, Rajputana, situated in 25° 45′ N. and 71° 23′ E., on the
Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway. Population (9goI), 6,064. The present
town is said to have been founded in the thirteenth century by a