Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 7, p. 24.


Graphics file for this page
24 BARNALA
nizawat, Patiala State, Punjab, situated in 32° 23′ N. and 75° 37′ E.,
52 miles west of Patiala, on the Rajpura-Bhatinda branch of the North-
Western Railway. Population (190o), 6,905. Rebuilt in 1722 by Ala
Singh, Raja of Patiala, it remained the capital of the State until the
foundation of the town of Patiala in I763, and the hearths of its founder
are still revered by the people. It is built in the form of a circle, and
surrounded by a wall of masonry, within which is a fort. Lying in the
centre of the Jangal tract, it is a mart for the export of grain, and the
State has constructed a large market to foster its development. The
town contains a dispensary, an Anglo-vernacular middle school, and a
police station.
Baro (or Barnagar).-Village and ancient site in the Gwalior State,
Central India, lying in 23° 56′ N. and 78° 14′ E. Baro is now only
a small village, with a population (1901) of 533; but the neighbour-
hood is covered with the remains of an ancient city of considerable
size, the ruins extending to the neighbouring town of Pathari. The
principal remains consist of Hindu and Jain temples, chiefly situated
close to a large tank, the waters of which are held up by a fine old
stone dam. The village stands at the foot of the Gayanath hill, a part
of the arm of the Vindhyas which strikes north from Bhilsa. The
sandstone and shales of the Vindhya series are well exposed here, and
the former has been employed in constructing the temples and houses
of Baro. The finest building is the Gadarmal temple, on the western
bank of the tank; and though the existing structure is a restoration of
the original shrine, as the heterogeneous nature of its spire shows, it is
still a magnificent example of mediaeval Hindu architecture. The
shape of the sanctuary is interesting, being oblong instead of square,
and within it is an unusually fine sculptured figure. The temple
formerly stood in a spacious courtyard and was surrounded by seven
smaller shrines, now mere heaps of bricks. The entrance to the court-
yard lay through a lofty gate of which one richly carved pillar is still
standing. The temples in this group are all Saivite, there being no
Jain sculptures, as Cunningham has erroneously stated. The other
large temple is called the Jain Mandir, and has evidently been restored
by Jains from the remains of a Hindu building. It is entirely enclosed
by a high wall, in the centre of which there is a samddhi or ascetic's
tomb. A gallery runs round all four sides, the shrines, which number
eighteen in all and are of various sizes, lying behind it. Six spires and
several domes surmount the building, and have been made up of the
remains of Hindu and Jain temples, carved with images peculiar to
each religion. The cells, however, contain only Jain images. Tradition
relates that Baro was once a large and wealthy city, but was destroyed
at the end of the seventeenth century by Chhatarsal, the chief of Panna,
who sacked the town. It is, however, impossible that a Hindu should



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html