BARODA CITY 81
Besides Baroda city the prant contains ten municipalities: namely,
Dabhoi, Petlad, Padra, Sinor, Sojitra, Viso, Savli, Bhidran, Sankheda,
and Makarpura. Their funds, amounting to Rs. 14,800 in 1904-5,
besides the income from customs, excise, and tolls in Dabhoi, are
provided by the State. A District board and local boards were con-
stituted in 1905.
The prdnt is administered by the Sdbah, whose head-quarters are at
Baroda city. The prdnt Judge also holds his court at the same place.
Education is well provided for, there being a college in Baroda city
and also a high school, while the number of Anglo-vernacular schools
is 6, and of vernacular schools 476. These schools were attended in
1904-5 by 35,780 pupils. Theprdnt contains a civil hospital, a leper
hospital, a lunatic asylum, and io dispensaries, in which 131,322
patients were relieved in 1904-5, of whom 1,044 were in-patients.
Baroda Taluka.-Central taluka of the Baroda prant, Baroda
State, with an area of 160 square miles. Excluding the city, the popula-
tion fell from 96,387 in I891 to 60,428 in 1901. It contains iro villages,
besides the city and cantonment. The taluka is a level plain watered
by five rivers, the Mahl, Meni, Rungal, Jambva, and Vishwamitri. The
prevailing soil is black, though two other classes, gordt, or sandy loam,
and besdr, a mixed soil, are found interspersed with it. The chief
crops grown are dangar, jowar, bdjra, tuver, tal, mzath, shidlu, and
cotton. In 1904-5 the land revenue was Rs. 3,68,000.
Baroda City.-Capital of the Baroda State, situated in 22° 18′ N.
and 73° 15′ E., on the Vishwamitri river, 244- miles from Bombay by
rail, and 6i1 miles soutth-by-south-east of Ahmadabad. The population
at the last three enumerations was: (1881) io6,5I2, (1891) II6,420,
and (I901) 103,790. In I901 Hindus numbered 80,834, Musalmans
18,770, and Jains 2,266.
The municipal board, reconstituted in 1906, has an income of
about 2 lakhs, derived from octroi, fines levied for permission to
erect new houses, &c., salesof land, and a conservancy tax. In 1904-5
the expenditure was 2.4 lakhs, the chief items being roads (Rs. 91,ooo),
conservancy (Rs. 6i,ooo), and administration (Rs. 32,000). The aspect,
comfort, and health of the city have recently been considerably improved.
A free supply of filtered water, supplied from the Ajwa reservoir, is dis-
tributed to every street by means of pipes. Drainage works are being
constructed to carry off storm water and sullage from the houses. New
roads have been constructed, old roads have been made wider, new
buildings have been erected on every side, old and inconvenient ones
have been removed, the streets are clean and well lighted, and con-
servancy is carefully attended to.
The city proper is enclosed by the old walls of the fort. It is
approached from the railway station by a road which, at first broad and
VOL. VII. G