BASIM TOWN 10o3
74 primary schools, 69 were managed by the District board and 5 by
the Basim municipality. The great majority of those under instruction
were in primary classes, and no girls had advanced beyond this stage.
Of the male population of school-going age, 6 per cent. were in
the primary stage of instruction, and of the female population of the
same age, 0.5 per cent. In recent years the experiment of combining
elementary instruction in such handicrafts as cane-work and carpentry
with the ordinary school course has been tried, but it is too soon to
pronounce definitely on its success. The total expenditure on educa-
tion in 1903-4 was Rs. 34,100, of which Rs. 29,000 was contributed
by local bodies and Rs. 2,565 was realized from fees.
The District possessed one civil hospital and five dispensaries, with
accommodation for 27 in-patients. In 1903 the number of cases treated
was 36,467, of whom 252 were in-patients, and 940 operations were
performed. The expenditure was Rs. 7.365, of which the greater part
was met from Provincial contributions.
Vaccination has made satisfactory progress in the District. In I903-4
the proportion of persons successfully vaccinated was 33.7 per I,000,
the mean for the Province being 36.6. Vaccination is compulsory
only in the municipal town of Basim.
On the reconstitution of the six Districts of Berar in August 1905,
Basim ceased to exist as a separate District. The tfluks of Basim and
Mangrul were transferred to Akola and now form the Basim subdivision
of that District, and the tfluk of Pusad was transferred to Wtn, now
designated Yeotmal District.
Basim Subdivision.-Subdivision of Akola District, Berar, con-
sisting of the BAsIM and MANGRUL ta/ilks.
Basim Taluk.-Formerly the head-quarters taluk of Bisim District,
but since August, 1905, the southern tiluk of Akola District, Berar,
lying between 19° 52′ and 20° 25′ N. and 75° 40′ and 77° 28′ E., with
an area of 1,046 square miles. The population fell from I77,250 in
1891 to I53,320 in 1901, and its density, 147 persons per square mile,
is less than in any other taluk except Mangrul. The demand for land
revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,76,000, and for cesses Rs. 30,000. The
taluk contains 324 villages and only one town, BksIai (population, 13,823),
the head-quarters of the taltk and of the Basim subdivision. The
northern part of the taltuk lies in the Balaghat, or southern plateau of
Berar, but the southern portion lies in the valley of the Penganga,
which forms the southern boundary from Pirdi eastwards. The soil
is fertile, especially in the Penganga valley.
Basim Town (or Wtashim).-Head-quarters of the Basim tffilk,
Akola District, Berar, situated in 20° 7′ N. and 77° 11′ E., at a height
of 1,758 feet above sea-level; distant 52 miles south-south-east from
Akola on the Nagpur branch of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway,