town. His tomb, of granite and white English marble, is placed beneath
a dome erected by the Jam, and is surrounded by a garden. A small
establishment is maintained in the town for purposes of conservancy.
Cotton cloth and rice constitute the principal imports; oilseeds, ghz,
and wool the exports. Bela crochet-work is well-known.
Bela (or Bela Partabgarh).-Head-quarters of Partabgarh District
and tahsil, United Provinces, situated in 25° 55′ N. and 82° E., on the
bank of the Sai, at the junction of the main line of the Oudh and
Rohilkhand Railway with a branch from Allahabad to Fyzabad, and on
a road between the same two places. Population (Igor), 8,04I. The
town derives its name from the temple of Bela Bhawani near the river.
It was founded in i802 as a cantonment for the Oudh auxiliary force,
and after the Mutiny became the head-quarters of a District. The town
is well laid out and has been thoroughly drained. Besides the usual
offices, it contains a general dispensary and a magnificent female
hospital, and there is a branch of the Zanana Bible and Medical
Mission. Bela has been a municipality since I871. During the ten
years ending 190o the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 10,ooo.
In 1903-4 the income was Rs. I4,000, chiefly derived from octroi
(Rs. 8,ooo) and fees and rents; and the expenditure was Rs. I6,ooo.
There is a flourishing trade in agricultural produce. Three schools
have 340 pupils.
Belagutti.-Town in the Honnali taluk of Shimoga District, Mysore,
situated in 14° 11′ N. and 75° 31′ E., 10 miles south-west of Honnali
town. Population (I90I), 2,799. The original form of the name was
Belagavatti. It was the seat of a line of Naga chiefs who called them-
selves Sindas. They ruled during the twelfth and thirteenth centuries,
under the Chalukyas, Hoysalas, and Seunas. The place stands in a
plain of fertile black soil.
Belapur.-Village in the Rahuri tdiuka of Ahmadnagar District,
Bombay, situated in 19° 34′ N. and 74° 39′ E., I5 miles north of Rahuri,
on the Dhond-Manmad Railway. Population (190I), 4,630, including
Belapur-Khurd (I,I67). It lies on the north bank of the Pravara, which
in floods rises to the gates. On the river-side are some picturesque
buildings belonging to the Naiks, an old Maratha family. The chief
traders are Marwari Vanis and Telis. In 1822 an attempt was made
to make Belapur the centre of a revolt. Troops were to be collected
here and at Nandurbar in Khandesh, and in conjunction with the local
Kolis were to make a general attack upon the British posts. The
plot was, however, discovered and quashed.
Belgami (or Balgami).-Village in the Shikarpur taluk of Shimoga
District, Mysore, situated in 14° 24′ N. and 75° 15′ E., 14 miles north-west
of Shikarpur. Population (I901), 1,330. Its name appears in inscrip-
tions as Balligamve, Balligrame, Balipura, and similar forms. Even