Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 7, p. 193.


Graphics file for this page
BENGAL I93
Benares, employing a number of workmen who formerly prepared gold
and silver wire. This is perhaps the most flourishing industry of the
place. The only factories are three ice works, two brickyards, two
chemical works, and a few large printing presses.
The Benares College was opened in I791, and the fine building in
which it is now housed was completed in I852. It is maintained by
Government, and includes a first-grade college with 97 students in I904,
and a Sanskrit college with 427 students. The Central Hindu College,
opened in 1898, is affiliated to the Allahabad University up to the
B.A. standard. It contained 104 students in the college and 204 in
the school department in 1904. It was founded largely through the
efforts of non-Indian theosophists, and is intended to combine Hindu
religious and ethical training, on an unsectarian basis, with modern
Western education. The missionary societies maintain a number of
schools for both boys and girls; and the Church Missionary Society is
in charge of Jai Narayan's collegiate school, which was founded by a
Hindu, after whom it is called, in I8I8, and presented to the Society.
The same society manages a normal school for female teachers. The
municipality maintains fifteen schools and aids seven others, attended
by more than 1,300 pupils. Benares has produced a number of Hindu
scholars and authors, and was the residence of the celebrated religious
teachers Vallabhacharya, Kabir, and TulsI Das, and the nineteenth-
century author and critic, Harish Chandra. The Sanskrit college
issues a periodical called The Pandit, dealing with Sanskrit learning,
and a society called the Nagari Pracharini Sabha has recently com-
menced the publication of ancient vernacular texts. A few newspapers
are published, but none of importance.
[Rev. M. A. Sherring, The Sacred Cil'j of the Hlindus (I868).]
Bendamurlanka. - Village in Godavari District, Madras. See
BANDAMURLANKA.
Bengal' (more precisely designated, Lower Bengal).-'I'he largest
1 The article was written before the changes were carried out which constituted
the new Province of EASTERN BENGAL AND ASSAM. These were determined upon
to lighten the excessive burden imposed upon the Government of Bengal by the
increase of population, the expansion of commercial arlI industrial enterprise, and the
growing complexity of all branches of administration. The Province had hitherto
comprised an area of nearly 19o,ooo square miles, with a population of over 78
millions, and a gross revenue amounting to more than Iloo lakhs. In these circum-
stances, the relief of the Bengal Government had become an administrative necessity,
and it was decided that it could be afforded only by actual transference of territory
and not by organic changes in the form of government. Accordingly, on October 16,
90o5, the Divisions of Dacca, Chittagong, and Rajshahi (except Darjeeling), the
District of MSalda, and the State of Hill Tippera were transferred to the newly formed
Province of Eastern Bengal and Assam, the area under the jurisdiction of the Bengal
Government being thus reduced by 50,000 square miles and its population by
VOL. VII. O



Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html