Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 1.


Graphics file for this page
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER
OF INDIA
VOLUME VIII
Berhampore Subdivision.-Head-quarters subdivision of Murshid-
abad District, Bengal, lying between 23 48' and 24 22' N. and 88' 11'
and 88 4q-' E., with an area of 752 square miles. A great portion of
the subdivision is low-lying and liable to floods. The population in
igoi was 47x,962, compared with 454,9r9 in i89i, the density being
628 persons per square mile. It contains one town, BERI3AMPORE (popu-
lation, 24,397), its head-quarters; and i,o6o villages.
Berhampore Town (Bahrdinpur).-Head-quarters of Murshidabad
District, Bengal, situated in 24 8' N. and 88 16' E., on the left bank
of the Bhagirathi, 5 miles below the town of Murshidabiid. Population
(1901), 24,397, of whom 19,779 are Hindus, 4,335 Muhammadans, and
255 Christians. Berhampore was selected as a site for a cantonment in
1757, shortly after the battle of Plassey, the factory house at Cossimbazar
having been destroyed by Siraj-ud-daula. The Court of Directors sanc-
tioned the project to station troops here after the revolt of Mir Kasim
in 1763, and the barracks were completed in 1767 at a cost Of 30-23 lakhs.
The cantonment will always be remembered as the scene of the first
overt act of mutiny in 1857, when the garrison had dwindled down
to one battalion of native infantry and another of irregular cavalry and
two guns. The sepoys of the 19th regiment, who had been intensely
excited by the story of the greased cartridges, rose, on the night of Feb-
ruary 25, in open mutiny, but were prevented from doing any actual harm
by the firm and at the same time conciliatory behaviour of their com-
manding officer. After the Mutiny European troops were again stationed
here,- but they were finally withdrawn in 1870. The barracks are still
a prominent feature of the town, though they have now been appro-
priated to other uses.
Berhampore was constituted a municipality in 1876. The municipal
income dining the decade ending 1901-2 averaged F.S. 46,ooo, and
the expenditure Rs. 44,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 62,000, Of
which Rs. 16,ooo was derived from a tax on persons (or property tax),
Rs. 15,000 from a water rate, and Rs. 12,000 from a conservancy rate.
VOL. Vill. B
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html