BERHAMPORE TO WN
The expenditure was Rs. 71,000. In 1894 the late Maharani Sarnamayi,
C.I., undertook to furnish the town with a supply of filtered water.
The works, which were opened in 1899, are designed to give a daily
supply of 200,000 gallons. The water is pumped up from the Bhągirathi
into three settling tanks, each with a capacity of 229,000 gallons, whence
it passes through filters into the clear-water reservoirs. There are in all
12~ miles of pipes through which the water is distributed to the town.
The Magistrates' courts and municipal offices are located in the
barracks. The Sessions judge's court is about a mile to the south-east.
The old military hospital has been converted into a District jail, with
accommodation for 340 prisoners ; the chief industries are oil-press-
ing, surki-pounding, carpentry, dari-weaving, and cane and bamboo
work. Other public buildings are the circuit house and dāk bungalow,
college, hospital, and lunatic asylum. There are several churches in the
town, and the cemetery contains some interesting memorial stones. The
Berhampore College, founded by Government in 1853, is a first-grade
college with law classes and a hostel for boarders. A collegiate school
is attached to it. It possesses fine buildings and a library, and is
managed by a board of trustees. The Berhampore Sanskrit tol is
managed by the estate of the late Ran! Arna Kāli Devi of Cossimbazar
at an annual cost of Rs. 3,ooo. The hospital has thirty-six beds. The .
lunatic asylum has been recently enlarged at a cost of 3 lakhs, so as to
provide accommodation for 267 male and 152 female patients. Lunatics
are received here from the Presidency, Burdwān, and Bhāgalpur
Divisions; in 1903-4 the maximum number of inmates was 263.
Berhampur Subdivision.-Subdivision of Ganjā,m District, Madras,
consisting of the tāluk of BERHAMPUR and the zaminddrf tahsils of
ICHCHAPURAM and SOMPETA.
Berhampur Taluk.-Easternmost of the three Government Nluks
in Ganjām District, Madras, lying between 18' 56' and 19° 32' N. and
84° 25' and 850 5' E., with an area of 685 square miles. The population
in 19or was 344,368, compared with 323,474 in 1891 The demand for
land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 was Rs. 5,90,000. Its `wet' lands,
irrigated by the RUSHIKULYA Project and some streams and tanks, are
more extensive than in the other tāluks. It contains 549 villages, and
the three towns of BERHAMPUR (population, 25,729), the head-quarters,
ICHCHAPURAM (9,975), and GANJkM (4,397). Along the coast the
scenery is uninteresting, but the low hills to the east of Berhampur
render the inland part more picturesque.
Berhampur Town (Barampuram).-The largest place in Ganjām
District, Madras, and the head-quarters of the subdivision and hiluk
of the same name, situated in r9° 18' N. and 84° 48' E., on the trunk
road from Madras to Calcutta, and on the East Coast Railway, 656 miles
from Madras and 374 miles from Calcutta. Population (r9oi), 25,729,