2 2 BIIADRA
almost due west of Hissar. Population (1901), 2,651. The town
possesses a fort, a post office, a vernacular school attended by 78 boys,
and a hospital with accommodation for 7 in-patients. The Bhādra
tahsi4 which contains log villages and 31,994 inhabitants, was formerly
the estate of one of the principal Thakurs ; but he was in constant
rebellion against the Darbār, and was finally dispossessed in 1818.
More than 44 per cent. of the population are Jats. The soil is on the
whole good, a considerable area is cultivated, and a few villages generally
receive a little water for irrigation from;the Western Jumna Canal.
F3hadrā.chalam.--Western subdivision and hdluk in the Agency tract
of Godavari District, Madras, lying between 17° 27' and 17° 57' N. and
8o 52' and 81° 49' E., with an area of 911 square miles. The tdluk is
cut off from the rest of the District by the Eastern Ghats, and extends
along the left bank of the Godavari river. The population in lgor was
48,658, compared with 42,336 1n 1891. It contains 320 villages,
Bhadrāchalam being the head-quarters. The demand on account of
land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to RS. 23,000. Owing
to its situation above the Ghats, the climatic conditions of this tdluk
are somewhat different from those of the remainder of the District.
Variations in temperature are greater, and the rainfall is almost entirely
due; to the south-west monsoon. The tdluk is for the most part covered
with hills and forests, the Government ` reserved' forests alone extend-
ing over 460 square miles, for which a District Forest officer has recently
been stationed at Ktlnavaram. The Sābari, a large river which joins
the Godavari at Ktlnavaram, intersects it. Cholam (Sorghum vulgare)
is the staple crop, though rice and a little tobacco are grown along the
Bhadrāchalam was formerly part of an estate in Hyderabad territory.
It was ceded in 1860 and joined to the Central Provinces. In 1867
the minor feudatories in it were made practically independent of their
suzerain, the zamindir of Bhadrāchalam, while the forests and 104
hill villages over which the latter had never exercised authority were
declared state property. In 1874 the tdluk was . transferred to the
Madras Presidency, and in 1879 the Scheduled Districts Act of 1874
was applied to it.
Bhadrakh Subdivision.-Southern subdivision of Balasore Dis-
trict, Bengal, lying between 20° 44' and 21° 15' N. and 86° 16' and
86° 58' E., with an area of 930 square miles. The subdivision is
a fertile deltaic tract, watered by numerous streams which flow from
the Chota Nāgpur plateau into the Bay of Bengal. The population in
lgoi was 478,653, compared with 447,782 in 1891, the density being
515 persons per square mile. It contains one town, BHADRAKH
(population, 18,518), its head-quarters; and 1,246 villages. A large
trade passes through CHANDBALI port in the south of the subdivision.