42 BAISA UNDfI
under the Political Agent in Baghelkhand, with an area of about
32 square miles, and a population (1901) of 4,168. The jdgir was
created by a readjustment of shares which took place in 1817. The
present holder, Pandit Sri Chhatarsāl Prasad Jü, succeeded in 1885.
He was educated at the Rājkumār College, Nowgong, and was entrusted
with the management of his jdaüir in 1903- The jdgir contains 2 0 vil-
lages. Of the total area, ro square miles, or 31 per cent., are cultivated.
The revenue is Rs. 9,ooo. Bhaisaundā, the chief place in the jagir,
is situated in 25° 18' N. and 80° 48' E., 8 miles from Karwi station on
the Jhānsi-Mānikpur section of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway.
Population (igo1), 1,386.
Bhdisola.-Thakurdl in the BAOPAWAR AGENCY, Central India; also
known as Dhotria.
Bhāja.-Village in the MAval tdluka of Poona District, Bombay,
situated in 18° 44' N. and 73° 29' E., about 7 miles south-west of
Khadkāla, and about 2 miles south of Karli railway station. Popula
tion (1901), 366. It contains a group of eighteen early Buddhist eaves
of about the second and first century B. C., in the west face of the steep
hill, some 400 feet above the village. Beginning from the north, the
first is apparently a natural cavern 30 feet long and slightly enlarged.
The next ten are plain cells. The twelfth cave forms a chaitya or
chapel, and is, according to Dr. Burgess, of the greatest importance for
the history of cave architecture. The cave is 59 feet long by about
29 feet wide, with a semicircular apse at the back, and an aisle 3 feet
inches wide separated from the nave by twenty-seven plain octa-
gonal shafts 1 i feet 4 inches high. The pillars rake inwards about
5 inches on each side, so that the nave is 15 feet 6 inches wide at the
tops of the pillars and 16 feet 4 inches at their bases. The ddgoba or
relic shrine is 11 feet in diameter at the floor, and the cylinder or drum
is 4 feet high. The dome is 6 feet high and the box upon it is two-
storeyed, the upper box being hewn out 1 foot 7 inches square inside
with a hole in the bottom 1 foot 8 inches deep and 7 inches in diameter.
The upper part of the box or capital is of a separate stone and hollowed,
showing clearly that it held some relic. On four of the pillars are
carved in low relief seven ornaments of Buddhist symbols. On the
left of the seventh pillar is a symbol formed of four tridents round a
centre, which perhaps contained a fan with buds and leaves at the
corners. On the eighth pillar on the right side are two flowers and what
looks like a fan, and on the left side a posy of holy flowers. The roof
is arched, the arch rising from a narrow ledge over the triforium 7 feet
5 inches above the tops of the pillars and 26 feet 5 inches high from the
floor. The roof is ribbed inside with teak girders, the first four of
which, and parts of some of the others, have given way or been pulled
down. The front must have been entirely of wood, and four holes in