44 BHAKKAR TO WIV
Bhakkar Town.-Head-quarters of the lahsil of the same name
in Mianwali District, Punjab, situated in 310 37' N. and 71° 4' E., on
the left bank of the Indus and on the North-Western Railway. Popula
tion (1901), 5,312. It stands on the edge of the Thal or sandy plain
overlooking the low-lying alluvial lands along; the river, a channel of
which is navigable as far as Bhakkar during the floods. To the west of
the town the land is low, well cultivated, and subject to inundation,
while to the east the country is high and dry, treeless, and sandy. A rich
extent of land irrigated from wells lies below the town, protected by
embankments from inundations of the Indus, and produces two or
three crops in the year. The neighbouring riverain is full of date
groves and fruit gardens; and in it stands a famous mango-tree, the
fruit of which used to be sent to Kabul in the old days of Afghan rule.
Bllakkar was founded probably towards the close of the fifteenth
century by a body of colonists from Dera Ismail Khan, led by a Baloch
adventurer, whose descendants held the surrounding country till ousted
by the grantees of Ahmad Shah Durrani. The municipality was
created in 1874. Its income and expenditure during the ten years
ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 7,7oo. The income in 1903-4 was
Rs. 7,500, chiefly derived from octroi; and the expenditure was
Rs. 8,6oo. The town contains a dispensary and a municipal vernacular
Bhâlala.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Bhalgâm Baldhoi.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Bhalgâmda.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Bhdlki.-Head-quarters of the paigtih tàluh of the same name in
Bidar District, Hyderabad State, situated in 18° 3' N. and 77° 12' E.,
about 9 miles east of the confluence of the Karanja with the Manjra.
Population (rgol), 5,788.
Bhalsand (or Bharsand).-Town in the District and tahsil of Ballia,
United Provinces, situated in 250 43' N. and 84E° 16' E., 6 miles east of
Ballia town. Population (1905), 5,777. The place is said to be of
great antiquity, having been founded by a Raja of Haldi early in the
twelfth century. There is a small manufacture of coarse cloth. The
school has 128 pupils.
Bhâlusna.-Petty State in MAH! KANTHA, Bombay.
Bhambore (Bambura).-Ruined city near the village of Gharo, in
the Mirpur Sakro hiluha of Karachi District, Sind, Bombay, situated
in 24° 4o N. and 67° 41' E. Population (1901), 127. It was stormed
by the Muhammadans on their first invasion in A. D. 711. Tradition
preserves its old name as Debal, Debal, or Dawal, `the temple'; but
it is believed that before the Musalman invasion it was known under
the name of the Mahara or Mansawar. The ruins, as also the numerous
coins found on the site, attest its former population and importance.