built by the Jain princess Channabhaira Devi (1450). On the summit
of the hill forming the northern boundary of the bay is a lighthouse
visible for 8 miles. The town contains a dispensary and three schools,
of which one is a middle school and one is for girls.
Bhdtkheri.-Thakurjt in the MALWA Agency, Central India.
Bhātkuli.-Village in the District and tdluk of Amraoti, Berdr,
situated in 20 54' N. and 77° 39' E., ro miles from Amraoti town.
Population (1901), 2,767. Raja Rukmin of Vidarbha is said to have
retired to this place after the abduction of his sister Rukmini by
Bhatnair (Bhatner).-Town and fort in Bikaner State, Rājputana.
Bhātpāra.-Town in the Barrackpore subdivision of the District
of the Twenty-four Parganas, Bengal, situated in 22° 52' N. and
88° 25' E., on the left bank of the Hooghly river. Population (rgoi),
21,540. Bhdtpdra has long been famous as a seat of Sanskrit learning,
and contains several tols where pupils are educated and fed free of charge.
It is also a busy industrial place, possessing jute-mills and a paper-
mill, situated chiefly in the villages of Jagatdal and Kdnkinara. Bhdt-
pdra was formerly included in the Naihati municipality, but in 1899
a separate municipality was constituted. The income during the five
years since its constitution averaged RS. 25,ooo, and the expendi
ture Rs. 17,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs.51,000, including
a loan from Government of RS. 2o,ooo and Rs. il,ooo derived from
a tax on persons ; and the expenditure was Rs. 31,000.
Bhattiāna.-A tract of country in the Punjab, lying between
29 15' and 30° 15' N. and 74° o' and 75° 45' E., and comprising
the valley of the Ghaggar from Fatehabad in Hissar District to Bhatnair
in the State of Bikaner, together with an undefined portion of the dry
country stretching north-west of the Ghaggar towards the old bank of
the Sutlej. For its physical aspects see HISSAR DISTRICT. Roughly
speaking, the tract is bounded on the east by Hariana, on the south
and west by the Bikaner desert, while on the north its boundary
includes Bhatinda in Patiala, and may be taken as roughly corre-
sponding to the line of the Southern Punjab Railway. Bhattiāna
derives its name from the Bhattis, a collection of Muhammadan tribes
claiming Rājput origin, who also gave their name to Bhatnair.
Early in the fourteenth century the wild country held by the Bhattis
and Mains (Minds) was attached to Abohar, a dependency of Dipal-
pur ; and the daughter of Rana Mal, the Bhatti chief, was married to
Sipah Salar Rajab, and in 1309 became the mother of Firoz Shah III.
The Bhatti chiefs seem to have maintained a position of semi-indepen-
dence for a considerable time. Rai Hansu Bhatti, son of Khul Chain,
was employed under Mubdrak Shah II against Pulād in 1430 and