Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 92.


Graphics file for this page
92
BHATTI.4NA
1431. Later, the Bhatti chief, Ahmad Khan, who had risen to great
power and had 2o,ooo horse under him, defied prince Bąyazid in the
reign of Bahlol Lodi, and, though at first victorious, was eventually
defeated and killed. Mirza Kamrān was employed against the Bhattis
in 1527 ; and they seem to have been reduced to complete subjection
by the Mughals, for nothing is heard of them until the decay of the
Delhi empire. For twenty-four years after 175o Bhattiana was harassed
by the Sikhs and Bhattis in turn, until in 1774 Amar Singh, the Raja of
Patiąla, conquered it. But Patiala was unable to hold the tract, and
lost the whole of it (Rania in 1780-3, Fatehabad in 1784), the Bhatti
reconquest being facilitated by the great famine of 1783 which deso-
lated the country. Sirsa fell to George Thomas in 1795-9; and on his
fall in 18o1 the Marathas acquired Bhattiāna, only to lose it in 1803 to
the British, who took no steps to establish a strong government. At
that time Bhattiāna was divided between the chiefs Bahadur Khan and
Zabita Khan, of whom the former held the country in the neighbour-
hood of Fatehabad, while the latter owned Rania and Sirsa. In 1810
the raids of Bahadur Khan had become intolerable, and an expedition
sent against him annexed Fatehabad, while in 1818 the territories of
Zabita Khan were acquired. The country thus obtained formed the
subject of a long dispute with the Patiala chief, who had encroached
on it between 1818 and 1837. It was finally awarded to the British
Government, and made into a separate District of Bhattiana, which was
transferred to the Punjab under the name of Sirsa District after 1857.
See HISSr1R.
Bhattiprolu.-Village in the Tenali tdluk of Guntłr District,
Madras, situated in 16° 6' N. and 80 47' E., to the north of Repalle.
Population (1901), 3,568. Its interest lies in the Buddhist stiapa which
it contains. This was much damaged in the last century by subordi-
nates of the Public Works department, who utilized its marbles for
making a sluice and other constructions, and little of it now remains.
The stūpa was 132 feet in diameter, and excavations made in 1892
revealed three caskets containing relics and jewels, which are now in
the Madras Museum. On them are nine inscriptions in the Pali
language, and in characters resembling those of Asoka's inscriptions,
stating that they were made to hold relics of Buddha. The stūjha and
these caskets are described in vol. xv of the Reports of the Archaeological
Survey of India.
Bhaun.-Town in the Chakwal tahsil of Jhelum District, Punjabi
situated in 32° 52' N. and 72° 4o' E., on the southern extremity of
the Dhanni plain. Population (1900, 5,34o. The town possesses
a vernacular middle school, maintained by the District board.
Bhaunagar State (Bhdvnagar).-State in the Kathiawār Political
Agency, Bombay, lying between 2o° and 220 i8' N. and 71° 15' and
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html