Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 111.


Graphics file for this page
BHĪNMĀL III
of whom over 67 per cent. are Hindus and about i9 per cent. Jains.
The estate includes the town and for villages, and is held by one of
the first-class nobles of Mewąr, who is styled Mahārāj, and is the head
of the Shaktāwat family of the Sesodia clan of Rājputs. The income
of Bhindar is Rs. 48,ooo, and a tribute of about Rs. 3,200 is paid
to the Darbār.
Bhingā.-Town in the District and lahsil of Bahraich, United
Provinces, situated in 27° 42' N. and 81° 56' E., near the Rapti. Popu
lation (1901), 5,972. It is said to have been founded in the sixteenth
century, but was an unimportant village until acquired by Bhawdni
Singh Bisen, a brother of the Raja of Gonda, about 1720. An old
fort is the ancestral home of the talukddr, who owns a large estate
in the neighbourhood; but the present lalukdnr, the Raja of .Bhingā,
lives in retirement at Benares. The town contains a dispensary and
a branch of the American Methodist Mission. It was administered as
a municipality from 1883 to 1904, when its constitution was changed
to that of a `notified area.' During the ten years ending r9oi the
income and expenditure averaged Rs. 3,000. In 1903-4 the income
was Rs. 6,500, including a grant of Rs. 2,500 from Provincial revenues;
and the expenditure was Rs. 5,ooo. The principal trade is in grain,
which is sent by road to Bahraich. An increasing amount of timber
is exported, chiefly down the Rapti. There are two schools with
200 pupils.
Bhingār.-Town in the District and Nluka of Ahmadnagar, Bombay,
situated in - i 9° 6' N. and 74° 45' E., adjoining the cantonment of
Ahmadnagar. Population (1900, 5,722, including a hamlet of 697.
Bhingar has a considerable weaving industry, a large proportion of the
inhabitants being skilled weavers. The municipality, ounded in 1857,
had an average revenue during the decade ending igoi of Rs. 5,500.
In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 8,500, including a loan of Rs. 2,500
from Government.
Bhinmāl.-Town in the Jaswantpura district of the State of
Jodhpur, Rājputāna, situated in 25° N. and 76° 16° E., about
105 miles south-west of jodhpur city. Population (1901), 4)545
The town contains a post office and a vernacular school, and the
principal manufactures are utensils of bell-metal. The place was the
old capital of the Gūjars between the sixth and ninth centuries, but
very few traces now remain. A dozen old tanks and wells, the stone
image of a king seated on a sinhdsan (lion-supported throne), and a
number of temples, are of some antiquarian interest. Sanskrit inscrip-
tions have been found, referring mostly to the time of the Paramāra
and Chauhan rulers. About 14 miles to the south-east is the Sūnda
hill, presided over by the goddess Chamunda in a rock-cut cave-like
temple, having a large domed and marble-paved hall, built in 1262, and
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html