BHONGÎR TAL UK
plantains, and betel-leaves are extensively grown, and irrigated from
wells, tanks, and channels.
Bhongir Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluh of the same name in
Nalgonda District, Hyderabad State, situated in 17° 31' N. and 78° 53'
E. Population (1901), 5,8o6. The town is situated at the foot of
a fortified rock, 2,000 feet above sea-level. In 17o9 a freebooter,
Pap Rai, raised a large body of followers and committed depredations
in the Deccan by plundering Warangal and Bhongir, but was eventually
captured and executed. Bhongir is an important centre of trade and
is celebrated for its pottery. It contains the offices of the Second
Talukdar, engineer, and tahsilddr, and also a post office, a dispensary,
and a vernacular school. The fort is built on an isolated rock, the
eastern and southern sides of which are quite unscalable ; from the
bdldhisdr or citadel on the top a good view over the surrounding
country may be obtained for long distances.
Bhopal Agency.-A collection of Native States in charge of a Poli-
tical Agent under the Agent to the Governor-General in Central India,
lying between 22° 19' and 24° 21' N. and 76° 13' and 78° 51' E. It is
bounded on the south and east by the Central Provinces; on the north
by the Rajputana Agency and Gwalior State ; and on the west by the
Kali Sind, which separates it from the Malwa Agency. The Bhopal
Agency has an area of 11,653 square miles, and a population (19or)
Of 1,157,697, giving a density of 99 persons per square mile. Hindus
number 912,111, or 79 per cent. ; Musalmans, 124,425, or io per cent. ;
Animists, Iro,o18, or 9 per cent. (chiefly Gonds); and Jains, 10,171.
The principal towns are BHOPAL (population, 77,023), SEHORE, includ-
ing military station (16,864), NARSINGHGARH (8,778), SARANGPUR
(6,339), RAJGARH (5,399), KHILCHIPUR (5,121), and BERASIA (4,276).
This charge was created in 1818, when a Political officer was
accredited to the Bhopal Darbar with collateral charge over other
States in the vicinity. He ranked as an Agent to the Governor-General
till 1842, when the charge was made into a Political Agency. It now
includes the treaty State of BHOPAL, and the mediatized States of
RAJGARH, NARSINGHGARH, KORWAI, KHILCHIPUR, MAKSUDANGARH,
MUHAMMADGARH, BASODA, and PATHARI, with sixteen petty holdings.
The SIRONJ pargana of the Tonk State in Rajputana and portions
of Gwalior, Indore, Dhar, and Dewas also fall within its limits.
The Agra-Bombay high road and the Itarsi-Jhansi and Bhopal-
Ujjain sections of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway traverse the
charge. The Political Agent, who has his head-quarters at SEHORE,
exercises general supervision over the affairs of the States, and, in the
case of all but Bhopal, personally deals with criminal cases of a heinous
character. He is a Sessions judge, and hears appeals ftom the Super-
intendent of Sehore, and also exercises the powers of a District