Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 178.


Graphics file for this page
178 BIJAPUR DISTRICT
to about A. D. 760 ; a Rashtrakuta period from 76o to 973 ; a Western
Chalukya, Kalachuri, and Hoysala Ballala period from 973 to 1190,
with Sinda underlords in South Bijapur from 1120 to 118o; and a
Deogiri Yadava period from 1190 to the Muhammadan invasion of
the Deccan at the close of the thirteenth century. In 1294 a Muham-
madan army, led by Ala-ud-din, the nephew of Jalal-ud-din Khilji,
emperor of Delhi, appeared in the Deccan, sacked Deogiri (the
modern Daulatabad in the Nizam's Dominions, to which place the seat
of Government had been removed from Bijapur during the Yadava
period), stripped Ramchandra (the sixth king of the Yadava line) of his
wealth, and forced him to acknowledge the supremacy of the Delhi
king. In the middle of the fifteenth century Vusuf Adil Shah founded
an independent Muhammadan state with Bijapur for his capital. From
this time the history of the District is that of the town of BIJAPUR.
In 1818, on the overthrow of the Peshwa, the District was granted to
the. Raja of Satara, and on the lapse of that State in 1848 it passed
to the British. At first part of Sholapur and Belgaum Districts, it
was made into a separate District in 1864.
In the seventh century, the Chinese pilgrim Hiuen Tsiang visited
Badami, then the seat of the Chalukya dynasty. He' described the
people as tall, proud, simple, honest, grateful, brave, and exceedingly
chivalrous. the king as proud of his army and his hundreds of
elephants, despising and slighting the neighbouring kingdoms; the
capital full of convents and temples with relic mounds or stfrpas made
by Asoka, where the four past Buddhas had sat, and, in performing
their exercises, had left the marks of their feet ; heretics of various
sects were numerous; the men loved study, and followed the teachings
of both heresy and truth. He estimated the kingdom as nearly
1,200 miles (6,ooo li) in circumference.
Many inscriptions are found in the District, the principal being at
ARASIBIDI (two large Chalukya and Kalachuri inscriptions in Old
Kanarese), AIVALLI (A.D. 634), and BADAnil (varying from the sixth to
the sixteenth century. The most noteworthy temples are at Aivalli
and PATTADKAI.. The Meguti temple of Aivalli is remarkable for its
simple massiveness, and that dedicated to Galagnath has a handsomely
sculptured gateway. The Pattadkal temples are examples of the
Dravidian and Northern Chalukyan styles. The temple of Sangam-
eshwar at Sangam in the Hungund tdluka is of great age. BIJAPUR
town is rich in Musalman buildings of architectural merit. The
first building of any size undertakenwas the Jama Masjid (about 1537),
which for simplicity of design, impressive grandeur, and the solemn
stillness of its corridors, stands .unrivalled. The pile of the Ibrahim
Rauza is most picturesque, and the dome of the tomb known as the
Gol-Gumbaz is one of the largest in the world, having an external
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html