Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 192.


Graphics file for this page
192 BIJNI
and Tippera in the south; but before his death he allowed his kingdom
to be divided between his son Lakshmi Narayan and his nephew Raghu
Rai. Raghu Rai established his capital at Barnagar in the Barpeta
subdivision, and received as his share the Koch territories lying to the
east of the Sankosh. He was succeeded by his son Parikshit, who
quarrelled with Lakshmi Narayan and was defeated by the Muham
madans, whom the latter summoned to his assistance. Parikshit's son,
Vijita Narayan, was confirmed by the Musalmans as zamindar of the
country between the Manas and the Sankosh, and from him the present
Bijni family is descended. Under Mughal rule the Raja paid a tribute
of Rs. 5,998, which was afterwards commuted to an annual delivery of
68 elephants. Difficulty was experienced in realizing the tale of the
animals in full, and in 1788 it was decided to revert to a money pay-
ment, which was fixed at Rs. 2,ooo per annum.. It is doubtful whether
Goalpara was ever included in the Decennial Settlement which was
made permanent in 1793, but this small assessment has always been
accepted in lieu of land revenue, though it has sometimes been argued
that it is nothing more than tribute. The family now pay a revenue of
Rs. 1,5oo, and cesses amounting to nearly Rs. 19,ooo, for an estate
which covers an area of 95o square miles and has an estimated rent-
roll of z lakhs of rupees.
On the conclusion of the Bhutan War, the Bijni family put forward
claims to hold a large tract of land in the Eastern Duars, of which they
alleged that they were in possession under the Bhutan government.
The claim was admitted, and in 187o a settlement was effected with the
Court of Wards on behalf of the minor Bijni Raja. The precise extent
of the estates to which they were entitled was still a matter of uncer-
tainty, but in 1882 it was ruled by the Government of India that the
Raja should receive 13o,ooo acres. These estates have generally
remained under the direct management of Government, who allow to
the Raja 7z per cent. of the collections as his share of the profits.
Bijnor District (Bijnaur).-Northernmost District in the Bareilly
Division, United Provinces, lying between 29 1' and 29 58' N. and
78 and 780 57' E., with an area of 1,791 square miles. On the north-
east the road which passes along the foot of the Himalayas divides
Bijnor from Garhwal District ; south-east and south lie Naini Tal and
Moradabad ; while the Ganges flows along the western border between
Bijnor and the Districts of Dehra Dun, Saharanpur, Muzaffarnagar, and
Meerut. The District of Bijnor, an irregular triangle of which the apex
points directly northwards, forms the uppermost por-
aspect
spectsal tion of the Rohilkhand plain, stretching like a wedge
.
between the valley of the Ganges and the hills of
Garhwal. In the north is a system of small elevations, known as the
Chandi hills, which resemble in geological formation the Siwalik range
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html